Chevy Traverse brake problem? Cold weather / no brakes

My new Traverse has a home in Northern WI. When the temp goes below -10 degrees, the brakes do not work. Brake pedal goes down a short distance and then turns into a brick for about 15 terrifying seconds until it finally breaks through and engages. The service tech at the dealership could not find anything wrong with the brakes and said I need to learn to “warm up” the brakes before going out onto the road. I’m not satisfied with this answer. Has anyone else had this experience with the Traverse?

What year is that Chevy? How many miles on it and has the brake fluid ever been flushed?

The service tech at the dealership could not find anything wrong with the brakes and said I need to learn to “warm up” the brakes before going out onto the road.

And some people wonder why I suggest that dealers are not always the best place for service.

Is it under warranty? Did you or could you get that “warm up the brakes” thing in writing. There should be no reason to need to warm up the brakes.

That said, it is possible that under some unusual weather conditions the brakes could become glazed with ice, but I would have to say that while it is possible, it is not common and I don’t believe that is your problem.

I suspect water in the brake fluid (brake fluid absorbs water) or moisture in the vacuum brake booster. Without knowing how old your Chevy is, it is difficult to do any better.

If you want you can call the Chevy regional people and talk to them. There should be something about that in your owner’s manual.

Joseph–To the best of my knowledge, the Chevy Traverse was just introduced to the market this past year, so my guess is that it is a 2009 model which would not need to have the brake fluid flushed.

My suggestion to the OP is to continue to take the vehicle back to the dealership and to be sure to obtain copies of the invoice for each visit, stating the nature of your complaint. Also, research the exact details of the Lemon Law for your state. If they continue to be unable to help you with this significant safety issue, then you may have no choice but to invoke the Lemon Law.

A last-ditch attempt on your part to resolve this problem might be to get the GM Zone Representative involved. Contact information should be in your Owner’s Manual. If this process is to no avail, and if the problem continues, then you probably have no alternative to a Lemon Law settlement.

Good luck!

It certainly sounds like moisture is the problem. Possibly the dealership’s diagnosis flat rate doesn’t allow the mechanic time to find the problem. If only allowed .25 hours to find a problem, not much will be found.

That answer from the dealership is ridiculous, not to mention dangerous. You’re right not to be satified. Keep pursusing this, possibly with another dealership or with the zone representative.

Although it doesn’t seem likely that moisture would have gotten into the system already, a brake fluid flush is probably the most sensible thing to do first.

Take it back and get a Honda,or Toyota.
And people wonder why American car products are going down the tubes.

However,this is a subject for another forum

My suggestion is that this is a very serious safety condition and shouldn’t be driven. I’m very surprised that the dealership/mechanic would allow this

The car is a 2009. I just got it Jan.6th. Have had this brake situation recur about 4 times. . . when the temperature is -10 degrees or colder. The service manager at the dealership has responded with concern and wants to have the car for a few days to check it out more thoroughly. Will let you know if they figure it out. Thanks for your comments.