Chevrolet surprised by Spark's popularity

11.2 seconds 0-60 for the 2013 Spark is sort of borderline from my point of view, with the freeway driving I do. It’s a safety problem if I can’t be at merge speed when it is time to merge. To me, that’s a 0-60 time of 10 seconds or less. If 11.2 seconds is the spec for the automatic version of the Spark, that would be ok probably. The automatic version is usually the slower of the two. The manual transmission version is likely a tad quicker.

Spark is more of a city car than a highway cruiser. People will drive it on the highway. I’ve seen Smart ForTwos on the highway. But they are not meant for that environment.

11.2 seconds 0-60 for the 2013 Spark is sort of borderline from my point of view, with the freeway driving I do.

I’d rethink that…Here’s a link of cars and their 0-60 times.

There are many cars on that list that are slower then 11.2 seconds.

The big question will be whether the popularity still exists in a few years after Recalls, TSBs, general hiccups not on record, and when some owners face 5 grand repair bills on an out of warranty 12 grand car.
Disillusionment can spread like a wildfire.

I hope for GM’s sake the Spark is reliable long-term, because they are getting a lot of young buyers and they want repeat customers.

The spark is best targeted at city dwellers and college kids who don’t have to take long highway trips all the time. I can see others point about some cars having too much power but too little power can be a problem too.

There are many cars on that list that are slower then 11.2 seconds

@MikeInNH … thanks for the 0-60 spec list for Toyotas. Interesting summary. In looking at your list, I didn’t see many Toyota sedans manufactured within the past 10 years with a 0-60 time of much more than 10 seconds. One of the slowest of Toyota’s most popular newer sedans is the 2009 Corolla LE, and even it is still well under 9 seconds. The 2013 Yaris is slower, but still just a wee bit over 10 seconds, and that is the automatic transmission version. The manual is likely faster.

I’m not complaining about the Spark’s 11.2 seconds so much as saying if I were looking to buy a new car, that spec would be somewhat of a concern. If the manual transmission is as peppy as I expect it is, when I test drove a Spark, I’m quite sure I’d be happy with the acceleration and would find it meets my freeway merge-safety needs.

Toyotas still seem to sell well despite an astonishing number of recalls.

I didn't see many Toyota sedans manufactured within the past 10 years with a 0-60 time of much more than 10 seconds.

Why does it have to be in the last 10 years?? Cars have gotten faster…that doesn’t mean that cars from 10 years ago weren’t fast enough. You’re telling me that an 80’s Toyota Celica was/is too slow to merge into traffic on the highway.

I feel everything is relative. Sure, muscle cars of the past were plenty fast. But generally, older cars ( Buick Rivera convertible for example ) would have the doors blown of by a Buick Rendezvous SUV. Every day cars of old were heavier and slower.

My 1986 Corollas were very slow compared to a 2002 model we had, even though at the time, it felt adaquate. Now, they could not compete.

@MikeInNH … As far as I know 80’s Celicas were plenty fast enough to merge safely. But if I were looking to buy a 2013 Spark, I wouldn’t be comparing it against an 80’s Celica. I’d be comparing it against popular sedans of more recent vintage.

Here you’re saying the Spark is a safety issue because it can’t merge safely into highway traffic.

11.2 seconds 0-60 for the 2013 Spark is sort of borderline from my point of view, with the freeway driving I do. It's a safety problem if I can't be at merge speed when it is time to merge.

Now you’re saying the Celica’s is fast enough…even though it has a SLOWER 0-60 time then the spark.

As far as I know 80's Celicas were plenty fast enough to merge safely.

So what is it??

What’s the zero to 60 time for a fully loaded 18 wheeler? Everything is relative and luckily I rarely need to be concerned with merging with 70 mph traffic. And there must be a great many others who have little concern for the race to merge.

@MikeInNH writes …

Now you're saying the Celica's is fast enough...even though it has a SLOWER 0-60 time then the spark. So what is it??

The 1980 Celica on the list you provided shows it at having a 0-60 time of 10.1 seconds. The 1982 is 9.0. The Spark is 11.2. 6 of the 9 1980’s Celicas on your list have times of 10.1 seconds or less. Why do you say the Celica is slower?

I’m not looking to buy either a Celica or a Spark. What I’m saying – and this is just my opinion --is that somewhere around 10 seconds is where I get concerned about merging safety and would definitely want to test drive that specific function first on any car having a time greater than 10 seconds, before deciding on a purchase.

@jtsanders

Hummers and H2s are not intended to be freeway cruisers, but that doesnt stop anyone.

@WhersRick, that’s their problem, isn’t it? Of course, I’ve also seen Fuso or Isuzu box trucks on the highway, and they don’t belon there either.

Just wait until the Cruze diesel hits the market. It’s as quick as a 6cyl and gets more than 40 mpg. That car will be a big success. Check back around February and we’ll see how it’s selling.

Yes, looking forward to seeing the Cruze diesel redeem GM from their past diesel passenger car debacles.

The 1980 Celica on the list you provided shows it at having a 0-60 time of 10.1 seconds. The 1982 is 9.0. The Spark is 11.2. 6 of the 9 1980's Celicas on your list have times of 10.1 seconds or less. Why do you say the Celica is slower?

I guess you didn’t read ALL of the link I provided. From the link…

1983 Toyota Celica GT-S 0-60 mph 11.7 Quarter mile 18.3

1984 Toyota Celica GT-S 0-60 mph 11.6 Quarter mile 17.9

I live in Mexico, as many of you know. There are all sorts of mini-cars here, and they run 70 or 80 mph on the high speed highways.

I don’t know much about repair rates here. There is a very common car, called the Chevy or Chevvy, can’t remember how many ‘v’ in it. My brother-in-law drove one hundreds of thousands of miles as a sugar cane inspector on terrible country roads. So bad at times they needed to weld the body from pounding on rocks. Yet, he said the motor went a long time if you keep the oil changed.