Chevrolet Corvette (C8) or Mazda MX-5 RF (ND)

At one time I really coveted a Ford Retractable (Skyliner) but, if in the position to purchase would go with the ragtop (Sunliner).
As Mustangman said, no trunk space with top down, the Skyliner had a small bin for usable space.
Other reasons: around a 500 pound weight gain for the Skyliner and the proportions were off.
Mazda has around 100 pound weight penalty for the retractable, the Vette does not offer a ragtop to compare weight.

Here’s another factor which I believe wasn’t mentioned . . .

Which interior do you like better?

I’m talking seating position, gauge layout, dash, etc.

I’m asking because you’ll be spending a lot of time in the interior, driving the car

You won’t spend as much time admiring the outside of the car

Perhaps some will disagree with me . . . I find that Corvette interiors have been butt ugly for a long time now

2 Likes

My only requirement for the interior is that it has two seats. All my friends hated the Scion FR-S’ cramped back seats.

If you’re not a good driver, you most definitely shouldn’t be in a Vette. High power + bad driving is a good recipe for a wreck.

Miata is OK, but you can still get in trouble with it. I might recommend you take some advanced driving lessons to become a better driver. Consider hunting up a local autocross organization and competing with it - it’s lots of fun and teaches you a lot about how to handle a car.

2 Likes

Have you even thought about what insurance will cost you ? 2 seat vehicles always have high rates and if you are 25 years old or less like I suspect your insurance will really high.

1 Like

I have gone without insurance since I started driving 7 years ago and I am doing fine. I only had insurance for about a month because my parents were coming to my graduation 2 years ago. I wouldn’t want them to get arrested lol.

That’s not OK. You’re a bad driver and you’re setting whoever you run into up to have to use their own insurance to cover for your bad behavior. Frankly, that’s sociopathic.

Get a bicycle. That’s the last bit of advice from me - I don’t like helping people who have such a callous attitude toward society.

7 Likes

No insurance. I thought you were a putz and now my suspicions are confirmed.

6 Likes

+1
I don’t like helping sociopaths either, but I strongly suspect that this person is an internet troll.

9 Likes

Not in my state. You can’t register the car, and the insurance company will notify the DMV when you drop insurance. Then the DMV cancels your registration. When we bought our last two new cars, the dealer wouldn’t even sell it to us until we provided proof of insurance.

4 Likes

Either you’re trolling or you’re incredibly irresponsible (and depending where you live, driving illegally). All but two or three states require you have insurance.

4 Likes

Where I’m at, the dealer won’t even sell you a used car, until you provide proof of insurance

4 Likes

I have never been able to even test drive a vehicle without proof of insurance .

5 Likes

+1 to all three of the above.
Thus, my contention that the OP is nothing more and nothing less than an internet troll.

7 Likes

Just curious what age group you are in? 20-25? 25-30? 30-35? Older?

TBH, despite what many people might say, there are such things as stupid questions. Much like there are stupid answers. Some questions just beg for the latter. Bring ‘em on!

Would you like to clarify what question or person you are directing this to ?

Seriously??
The first question.

Maybe OP should get a loan for a 88k vette and have no insurance and total it. Let him deal with bank, Cops, and person he ran into. Fun times.

1 Like

Very funny hahahah nobody cross shops a C8 vs a Miata. Go away.