Checking engine oil: Which is the correct reading?

Since my driveway doesn’t have any level areas, I generally check the oil after doing my shopping. The grocery store has a fairly level lot, and I usually be in there for at least 15-20 minutes

2 Likes

Probably so. I usually check, wipe, check again and it’s become a habit. Given a chance to discuss it, well, count me in, at least for a while!

1 Like

I know it’s a different animal, but the C8 corvette has to be checked with the engine running and the engine needs to be at operating temp. times are changing so always check the owner’s manual to be sure on a newly owned vehicle.

I wouldn’t expect to find a Ford Or Chevrolet engine in this Toyota so let’s go by the owners manual;

I want the correct amount of oil in the engine during normal operating conditions, not the amount shown after 12 hours of rest.

That is what is shown in the owners manual.

I worked at a gas station when I was kid.

And was told if the oil level was between the add and full marks it was good.

But it didn’t reflect the true level of the oil in the oil pan.because the engine didn’t sit long enough.

Tester

1 Like

Takes a lot longer on some Fords. Edmunds found out the hard way that Ford’s serious about having to wait at least 15 minutes:
EcoBoost V6 Makes You Wait - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test (edmunds.com)

1 Like

The OPs car is 17 years oil, oil returns might be restricted by sludge, perhaps 15-30 minutes would give a more accurate reading.

1 Like

My 08 650i is the same, and it has no dipstick, all electronic. And it won’t read the level unless the oil is at operating temp.

1 Like

I think a lot of you are a bit OCD about this. The important thing is that you check your oil and regardless of how, that the oil is somewhere between the lines. It can even be a little outside the marks, but as long as you bring the level back up to somewhere between the marks in a reasonable time frame, the engine will be fine.

5 Likes

Poor original poster is probably more confused now than before he asked!

4 Likes

I find it comforting though to be reminded not to burn myself on hot surfaces and not to spill the oil all over everything. I never would have guessed. :crazy_face: Kinda like be sure not to drive into a tree-like I need a reminder?

I noticed the paper shredder in the admin office had a picture of a necktie in a circle with the line through it. Fortunately I’m not in a necktie environment. Also had a picture of a hand with the same thing. Who’s going to stick their hand in anything with “shredder” in the name?

Lol. I did feel this way for a minute. There’s a lot of differing opinions here. I think I got some helpful information though.

This is a great point and i think it explains why there are so many conflicting opinions in this thread.

Great post here. Thank you. I didnt realize that I could find the owner’s manual online. Thank you.

No service place wants to wait around for 15 minutes let alone several hours after test running the engine to check the oil level! As someone said, what you want is to know the oil level when it is running.

If it becomes over filled when the engine is stopped it doesn’t matter. With automatic transmissions there is apparently so much oil in the system that it has to be checked when running.

I think the first half of my maual is about seat belts and baby seats, then I always wonder about do not use near fire or flame on a lighter.

1 Like

On Honda lawn mowers you are not supposed to screw in the filler plug dipstick when using it to measure the oil level! Many people probably don’t know this!

Better than our Lawn Boy, oil good for life! Looks Like Toro is on the same bandwagon.

On my Briggs engines, just the opposite. You are supposed to close the cap. Guess it pays to read the book.