Check engine light

Hi,

I have a Subaru 2003 Outback, with 160,000 miles on it. I have put lots of money into the car recently} new axles, new sway bar, new brakes, battery, radio, last year air conditioning hose, and other assorted stuff. Point it, I want to keep the car, it drives well, I have had it way up in Canada this past summer, and other long road trips. I have had the check engine light on and off for about a year and a half. When I first noticed it, I took it to where I usually do for basic maintenance, they checked it, and said I needed a new catalytic convertor. Well, I never got one, and had my car inspected this past Spring, one year later, the light was off, and it passed inspection . huh??? So, now, 5 months later, it is coming on more and more, but does go off as well. It is NOT blinking. The car drives great, I don’t want to put tons more money into it, just want to keep driving it until it needs more work, or I may get rid of it.

Is it okay to keep driving it if it drives well, no odor, well, sometimes it smells like matzoh ball soup, really, when I push it up a hill, but only rarely, and gets the same gas milage as always. I read conflicting things about catalytic converters. Sad to say, but I put a piece of duct tape over the light,it gives me anxiety.

thanks!

Shari

@sariglaze

The first thing you want to do is replace the oxygen sensors (front and rear). Degraded sensors often cause that P0420 catalytic converter code.