Check engine light

Other than being annoying,what is the consequences of ignoring the light?

2000 Cr-v

Well, since there are hundreds of error codes there is no way to say. As a general rule, don do it.

Perhaps you could get the codes read and then post them (format: “P1234”)

I would be better said “what is the consequence of ignoring a code xxxx”. The worst I can think of is a situation that damaged the catalytic converter and if this situation would have been fixed the cat. would not have been damaged of if it still was damaged it was paid for under the 8yr 80,000 mile warranty. Cat. replacement warranty service can be denied if maintenance is ignored. There are some concequences of ignoring the light, if things just happen to line up just wrong.

It could cost you an engine or at the extreme, result in an accident and cost you your life. Often it is a minor problem.

If it is flashing, it is time to stop as soon as it is safe.  Driving to the next exit can cost you a new engine

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Thanks all. I will pass these comments along to my family member.