Check Engine Light (CEL)

One day last week, while I was driving, the CEL came on,it blinked/flashed a few 3-4 seconds, and it went away. It has not been on again (kncok on wood). Should I even be worrying about this?

Under those conditions I would make sure my fuel cap was on tight and not worry unless it comes back.

It might be a good idea to check fluid levels. They sometimes start triggering sensors if they are almost low and it gets cold. Check oil, coolant, windshield washer and tyre pressure. Hey, while you are at it, why not check the transmission fluid.

Blinking CEL means a something is really wrong albeit a brief period in your case. You can get an autopart store to scan your codes and see what comes up for better comfort.

Blinking CEL is something more severe. But usually the light stays lit.

thanks. Joe and andrew

It’s doubtful that anything will show when a scan is done. That doesn’t mean that there isn’t anything wrong. It’s just not wrong enough, yet, to turn the CEL on.
If you haven’t done tune-uppy things for a while, now is a good time to start.

In a lot of cases, if you hook the car up to a “good scanner” it will read what code has came up in the past. Some cheaper scanners may not have as much info on them. If you go to Auto Zone they can run a scan on the car and see if any history of a malfunction is in the data on the scanner.

Yes, worry about it and get it checked out. A bad gas cap will cause a solid CEL, which usually isn’t dangerous, but a flashing CEL means a more serious problem. Next time you see a flashing CEL, shut off the car and call a tow truck.