Charging System Light on 2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx

This has happened five times within the past couple of months. I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx LT. In all cases, I was accelerating while going uphill. I am in Chicago so by uphill, think expressway ramp. The Charging System Light and warning bell come on for about a second and then shuts off. When I get home, I check the battery. In all cases, it is fully charged. The battery is six months old. Any idea as to what could be causing this?

Sounds like a bad connection in or on the alternator…The alternator is failing at high RPM…

Check the connections at the battery. If there is any corrosion at the terminals remove them, wire brush the posts and use a battery terminal brush to clean the inside of the terminals.

It could be that at certain times the anternator cannot send the charge thru the corrosion at the terminals.

You could also check the tightness of the serpentine belt. The tentioner may be failing at times…thus the alternator stops turning for a brief second or two.

Yosemite

Both are great answers but the slipping serpentine belt make the most sense to me.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the most likely ones, and my thinking is along the same lines as missileman’s suggestion. After 10 years, it is likely that the serpentine belt needs to be replaced and/or its tensioner is worn out.

I replaced the serpentine belt 1.5 years ago. Battery leads are clean - no corrosion. This is a GM battery (group 75 I think) with the screw in connections.