Changing to Synthetic Oil

I bought a 2002 Buick with over 180,000 miles on it. It runs well. I’ve been using Synthetic oil in the cars I buy new, but wonder if it is wise to change to a Synthetic in a vehicle with this many miles?

Won’t hurt anything. You might want to run a slightly heavier oil in an engine with this many miles though.

Russ

Won’t hurt anything. You might want to run a slightly heavier oil in an engine with this many miles though.

Worth repeating

Make sure you use Mobil One if you want a TRUE synthetic (made from gas) and not one that is synthetic in name only and is allowed to use that term, synthetic, only because those companies have “scrubbed” parrafins from natural oil. ALSO, VERY IMPORTANT! Use the viscosity recommended by the manufacturer. Using a heavier than called-for lubricant weight could clog tiny engine ports, which oil must flow through for optimum engine performance. Using heavier than recommended lubricants was good advice in the good-ol’ days of muscle cars and such, but not in today’s autos. Also, have you ever considered changing out the trans fluid with Mobil One trans fluid? Works wonders for its operation. Makes the transmission run smooth as silk (which is very smooth).