Chain Saw-

@Dagosa,I didnt say to use anything else have used chainsaws professonialy for close to 40 yrs and maybe have one chain to break,back in the day we didnt have special bar and chain lube,we used what we had,I did notice 10 weight didnt work very well,when its cold I sometimes cut the chain oil with some multi vis,I can tell you right now that clearing right of way on sloped ground for 9-10 hrs a day is rather grueling,when the Forest Service let us start constructing"brush barriers" rather then scattering the “slash” through the woods we thought we were getting a break…The past 2 months since I’ve been between jobs,probaly spent 3 wks cutting and clearing damage from the June windstorm(it sure makes the days a blur){finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel}-Kevin

Kevin…just a little CYA on my part. Thanks for setting me straight on that. I live with a chain saw in the woods, though with no where near your experience. I woudn’t mind not seeing a tree for a year…After heating with wood for twenty years, don’t mind going through just a gallon ofbar oil every three to five years anymore. Wear your chaps in good health !

I don’t use my chain saw much and just throw the accumulated dregs from the bottles of motor oil that I have in the chain reservoir and may never run the saw enough to know whether that oil is causing a problem but it is somewhat certain that cutting cedar can severely shorten the life of a bar and chain.

Chain saw bar oil has an additive to make it stick to bar instead of being thrown off. Hard wood does increase wear on the chain but should do little to the bar…Not using bar oil and using used motor oil or even motor oil in general can increase wear to a point you save nothing and it’s much more expensive. . With proper maintenance, a bar can last indefinitely for the average homeowner. Wood is only a big issue if it’s dirty. Used motor oil, clogs the ports resulting in little oil getting where you want and clean motor oil just doesn’t work… You wouldn’t put chain oil or two stroke oil in your car crankcase because it was handy. They each have a different purpose.

@Dagosa,yessir I agree about not seeing anymore trees for awhile(looks like the storm last week put some more down) I have to admit the stuff formulated for the chain and bar is better,when I used crankcase drainings(no more) it seemed that it didnt lube the chain as good,like Rod Knox I will let the oil bottles and little splashes and dabs of oil drain in my bar oil jug or recycle container.
One enterprising young lad did a science project one time on how much oil gets chucked into the landfills with undrained bottles and containers,didnt seem to take too long to accumulate a quart of oil-Kevin

I gottta get rid of my nonworking Shindaiwa.
Put gas into it again, thinking it was the Echo.

@kevin
Thanks for the observation. Good thoughts. Recycling in general is excellent, but it does have it’s limitations in practicality when stretched too far. Used motor oil is toxic. I let the “experts” deal with it.

Used motor oil is toxic. I let the "experts" deal with it.

Our town (and many others in NH) have waste oil burners. There’s a small amount of toxic waste left over after they burn a few hundred gallons of the oil for the year.

"there is a small amount toxic waste left over "
Burning alone decrease the volume of material as well as changing chemical composition.
One of the advantages of burning waste oil in an energy recovery plant that actually functions like it should is they have the advantges of scrubbers which in addition to the burning, like cats on cars, make sure there IS a SMALL amount of toxic waste left. Those are the experts to which I refer. Unfortunately, not all recovery plants or waste oil burning plants function as they should and just turn liquid/solid material toxins into air born ones.

Besides, we all drink water. I have a well and even a small amount of this stuff (used motor oil used as bar oil) is unacceptable.

Over the years waste oil has drained from catch pans and the barrels that I accumulate it in on the dirt floor of my storage shed yet grass grows through the oily dirt and I feel sure that my lack of fastidiousness will not harm the aquifer, dagosa. I am concerned about the lack of regulation of wells in my area though. Open well heads that are below flood level are all over this part of the state and no one seems concerned yet an old garage is treated like a toxic waste dump here.

@rodknox
And, if few were not taking proper care of used motor oil, there would be no concern. But, we are on a forum and as overbearing as it may seem to some, I will continue to preach what science supports whether it be concern for global warming where we as individuals can made a cummulative difference or properly dealing with used motor oil. My town considers used motor oil a toxic waste and I treat it accordingly . Besides, I do not subscribe to the theory that what " I can’t see won’t hurt me ".

In the 60’s we just dumped it on the gravel driveway to keep the dust down. Of course they used to spray the town for mosquettos too back then. Nothing wrong with doing it the way it is now.

Unsealed abandoned wells are one of the best ways to contaminate the ground water from run off and sewage. Your state health department should have a unit in the environmental section that deals with locating and sealing old wells. I’m sure they’d like the help in identifying where they are.

Well aside from the heavy metals and exotic toxic persistant compounds ,left over after the waste oil is consumed in a proparly designed waste oil heater,it seems that photodisassociation will take care of most of the remainder of the pollutants,the water vapor and CO2 can be nutrients for plants.So on the balance,combustion in a waste oil heater beats sending it to the dump hands down,but if was availible reprocessed at a resonable cost,I wouldnt mind using it,“NexGen” seems to cost more then the new stuff-Kevin