Chain Saw-

yes.

I am now a convert !!! I still keep my old wooden step ladders and aluminum extension as loaners.

Had a pretty big fall on the straight extention ladder, Only slight skin abrasion to me but bent the heck out of the extension ladder-I was very lucky. I wowed never again to use a straight extension and use either my orchard ladders or a little giant, which we found being live demo’d at Costco. Of course, I’ve seen the infomercials, so the rep-sales only need to make one demo and signed us.

WD40 is not an oil or a lubricant. WD40 is a Water Displacement. I suggest you stick with the product recommended by the manufacturer of your device.

Yes, WD40 is a water displacement. That’s why I used it on the chain-Much of the chain was sitting in a pool of water.

@dagosa, I won’t lend out the straight ladder anymore, maybe because I no longer have it. :-)) I’ve told my neighbors that if they need a ladder, they could use my Little Giant.

You guys using Ladders of any kind should take a rope and ladder course. I had to take one for in order to do property claims. Boy did I learn a lot. You cant be to safe on a ladder and using tools.

@olderbodyman
Good point. There are options to using ladders too. Gravity is a friend only when on the ground. I have no problems with heights but a huge problem with ladders. Painting house trim from the roof down and using staging always seemed safer. I use ladders for access and try to avoid using them as a working platform.

Attention Stihl owners,if your saw continually stalls when the gas tank has plenty of gas in it,replace the accordian style style gas line(dont know if you can put a straight one on it or not) very problematic in my experience,you dont know how frustrating this can be,check every pleat for pinholes.Stihl started doing what some car manufacturers did to me,so I switched brands to get the features I want(I dont see were it costs anymore to make a 310 vs 290)-Kevin

Did it again… Pulled out the old Shindawa from the second house, This saw hasn’t been touched for 3 years. I put gas into the chain oil port…just a couple of ounces. Boy did I pull on the starter.
The darn thing is so old, that it doesn’t have a primer button.

And it’s had such great maintenance…

The fuel filter hose has fallen apart. New chain and probably a newer 16" bar. An Echo at my pawn shop for $85. Should I say goodbye to old friend or say hello to a used workhorse- but I really don’t need a 2nd saw.

I have a plethora of small gas motors. Everyone of them in the last 5 years that had stalling problems did so for the same reason…ethanol contamination. The fix is the same. Remove, clean the carb and use ethanol free gas exclusively or run dry and idle with ethanol free gas before long term storage. No small engine is immune.

For Sale, OBO. Shindawa, 16" blade, New chain. Needs work.

Back to the chain saw discussion, I was in my local Rural King store today and bought bar oil for my electric chain saw which I use occasionally. There was a winter mix and a summer mix. I read the lables on the bottles and decided that since I’m not using my chain saw 24/7, it really didn’t make any difference. Since I could buy the summer mix in a smaller quantity that is what I bought.

use cheapest 30 weight

The only advantage I can see using bar oil,its supposedly low sling,you got to pile it in the oil resivoir on a cold day-Kevin

You may think A substitute for Bar oil may not be a factor if you only run your saw for a short time. But, I have run chain saws for an entire work day, 5 days a week clearing land and I guarantee, that anything less then the thicker chain oil that tends to adhere to the bar instead of being thrown off when speeds are as high as 3500 rpm, can easily burn up a bar/chain. I would NEVER use anything else, especially if you seldom use it too and havn’t run it for a time and forgot to properly tighten the chain. It’s a matter of safety…chain saws are very unforgiving on the human flesh. One that dulls up quickly, is thrown or breaks because of poor lubrication with an inadequate oil is begging for an accident. Use exactly what the manual says ! We all rightfully say so when it’s lube for a car even when we seldom use it…why isn’t it just as important for a chain saw which is potentially as much if not more dangerous when you use it. !

@Triedaq. Good choice ! Be safe. As we age, the time left to heal from an accident is a greater percent of the time we have left to live. It’s not worth it to take chances. Let the youngsters like @longprime and @kevin take the chances…

On SS.
Low sling bar oil is important now since motor oil is no longer cheap.
Used motor oil lets you know if the bar is being lubed. : -))

I know you are just kidding, but a reminder to someone out there who does use old motor oil…and I bet there are…

Used motor oil lets you throw a lot of carcinogens and polution around eventually Getting into the ground water too. ;=(( imagine too it getting into the laundry ))=; mixing with the rest, getting on the grandchildrens cloths as the particulates are not emulsified. Kids have away of putting things in their mouth…but unfortunately I bet some people do use it. Used motor oil increases wear and has worse lube properties as it is much thinner and gets thrown off more easily. It also can quickly clogged the oiler holes…NO upside to using it. It will cost you more.