Central Computer processing unit connections

A couple of years ago a dealership near me was looking to expand their new service department and wanted to hire 3 more service managers. Their requirements were an associates degree in Business but a BA is preferred. Zero mention of any mechanical knowledge what-so-ever,

Well, you could always try a cat cleaner, like cataclean or poor a gallon of lacquer thinner in a quarter full tank and drive on the highway for an hour or two. It might help clean the honeycombs inside the cat.

That’s the oldest method used by mechanics to locate exhaust leaks.

Tester

Before I replaced the Cat-converter, I used 1 can (16oz)of Cataclean in a 1/4 tank of gas and drove about 75 mi. During that time the CEL remained on. So I repeated the process , put another can of Cataclean in 1/4 tank of gas and drove another70mi.
This time the CEL went off after 50 mi and I thought the problem was solved.
I then drove another 120mi at which time the CEL came on again. At this point, I gave up on Cataclean.
I will say, I have studied the this old Cat Converter after it was removed and have here in front of me. Perhaps this cat converter is still working as it should.
I can see through the honeycomb essentially everywhere. I do not think that it is plugged. The Honeycomb structure looks clean to the unaided eye.
Is there a way of testing this CatConverter on a workbench to see if it is worn out and needs replacement or is it still in working order. The new one, like I said they want >2000.00 to install a new one from Lexus OEM product.

The O2 sensor after the catalytic converter is the indicator that determines if it needs replacing.

You don’t need an OEM catalytic converter on a 22 year old car.

After market will work fine.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/lexus,1998,ls400,4.0l+v8,1316123,exhaust+&+emission,catalytic+converter,5808

Tester

That does not mean it still works. It just means it isn’t plugged. There is a way to test it since the companies that manufacture them have test cells. You won’t find one at the corner auto shop.

where does one get a tester?

How does one remove post cat oxygen sensor so that a spark plug non fouler
can be inserted? Does the whole sensor have to be removed on my 1998 Lexus ls400?

Sir, I put in the new after market Cat converter but the CEL still comes on.
I had it checked and the O’rielly reader still shows a P0420 defect.
It must be the oxygen sensor is defective.
Can you tell me how to remove the post-cat oxygen sensor on the passenger side?
what are the steps in detail? I was able to lift the rail on the passenger door sil and get under the carpet.
I also removed the heater vent on the medial wall of the passenger side to move the carpet away from the medial wall.
I can visually see the proximal end the of oxygen sensor but do not know how to get it out completely. Can you help me?

Why aren’t you UNDER the car rather than INside the car? It is an exhaust component. The wire connector might be in the car but the device is screwed into the exhaust. If the connector is inside, disconnect it and get under the car with your 22mm (or 7/8 inch) wrench. It’s been in there a while, you might find it useful to cut the connector off the old one and use a box end or deep socket wrench to unscrew it. Might also take a length of pipe on the wrench to bust it loose. The old O2 sensor very often doesn’t want to leave.

You need to pull back the carpet to reach the connector. I don’t have detailed instructions but this diagram shows the connector location and the parts to remove;

1998 LS400 B2S2

The factory service manual would have step by step instructions and diagrams. You can access an online one at Mitchell or Alldata.