CarFax Decision. Need your input

Even the data that IS contained in Carfax reports is so full of errors as to be highly suspect. There are far, far better way to determine the history and/or condition of a vehicle.

Besides owner records, what other methods are there to determine a car’s history?

Besides owner records, what other methods are there to determine a car's history?

Visual inspection. Just for examples. If the trans fluid is black, it hasn’t been replaced in a while and/or trans has big problems. Layer of “pond scum” in the radiator or coolant reservoir, coolant hasn’t been changed much or ever. There are a lot of “tells” about how a vehicle was cared for if you look enough.

That is not what I meant as history. You suggested determining the current condition. It’s is the most important thing to me, but it is not what I asked for.

That is not what I meant as history. You suggested determining the current condition.

Current condition is based on it’s history. There’s a great deal you can tell about it’s history by it’s current condition. It’s done all the time in science.

Yeah, I understand the shortcomings of Carfax, but still I like to know where the car has been. Maybe not accurate but if it says it went from Florida to New Jersey to Pennsylvania or multiple state transfers, its a red flag. I like to see if its had normal ownership, either bought new and traded at normal intervals or leased and turned over for sale in a normal period.

Back when the had the 30 day all you can eat reports and paid the $20 or whatever, I checked my own cars and there was nothing inaccurate in it.