Carburetor-Based Cars -- Avoid?

It’s against federal law to remove or modify the emissions equipment on any on-road vehicle, feedback carbs included. But, yeah, in most states most cars with electronic carbs have probably already become exempt from smog tests, and other than that there’s absolutely no enforcement.

It’s always nice to watch a pro at work.

I remember when I was a kid, my dad brought the family’s 1977 LTD Country Squire station wagon, complete with wood grain, to the local Ford dealer after someone tried stealing it (our neighborhood had crooks with bad taste). The lock cylinder in the steering column was trashed. Instead of pulling the steering wheel, the mechanic sat in the driver’s seat and jerked his knees violently upward several times. The steering wheel and attached steering shaft popped out. He replaced the lock cylinder and shoved the thing back together. The steering wheel never pointed forward when we drove forward again.

I’d hate to see what this hacker would have done to a carburetor.

If you really worried about the carburetor, you can replace it with a throttle body fuel injector kit. These kits have a throttle body that replaces the carburetor, and use the linkage from your car. Not a hard replacement.

I just rebuilt the carburetor on a 1975 dodge, it’s not that hard if you take your time and check all the parts. Just about any old car club can point you to someone who could re-build it necessary. In just about 30 years I’ve only had 2 or 3 carburetor’s rebuilt they really don’t need that much maintenance. Almost any trouble you’ll have with an old car won’t be found with carburetor.

My opinions are subject to change with new facts.

Most of the time its ignition,unless its something like the power valve,float…-Kevin

I had a '86 Chevy Nova (mechanical twin of a corolla) which was one of the last carburetor equipped cars sold; my niece had a '86 Corolla, same carbed engine, and neither ever had any issues with the carbs or the engine whatsoever. I sold it after 11 years and 162k and it was near new in performance and reliability. Should have driven it longer… never had to add ANY oil between oil changes and no leaks on the ground.