Carbon monoxide poisoning?

Mazda Millenia 1996 V6 2.5 DOHC

Many chain auto parts stores have code readers. Call a few of them near you and see if they have them. You can borrow them for free, check the codes in the parking lot, and they will give you a printout with the codes. You give them a credit card for security, but there is no charge. I know that Advance Auto Parts does this near me.

It says the EGR Valve flow is not circulating

has your mechanic tried just cleaning the EGR? It might be something as simple as that, or it could be a case of your AC having problems. Is there any dampness in your passenger side foot well?

Autozone will read the codes free of charge. Have your mechanic look the entire length of the underside of the car for any missing body plugs or holes in the sheet metal that is the floorboard, trunk, and firewall of the car to see if there are any holes or missing body plugs and have him look to see if the exhaust pipe is venting under the rear bumper or out past it. If its underneath and there is one or more holes then what could be happening is that as your driving the exhaust fumes are getting pulled into the car through a vacuum process caused by the aerodynamics of the car. The millenia was mazda’s lower cost luxury sport car in its day and had some body styling similar to a sports car such as air damns and spoilers that would push the car down a bit as the wind moved over it and create a vacuum underneath the car effectively making it hug the ground more. Any hole in the flooring of the car would act as a syphon point like a hole on an airliner and pull air up including any exhaust fumes into the car interior.

Have the a/c system checked to with a uv leak detector to rule out any freon leaks, you can get the kit yourself from any autoparts chain store.

Thank you! All these suggestions are great!

Hmmm- no dampness.

My mechanic has spent hours and hours (AT NO CHARGE) looking at all my hoses- checking for leaks-
he lifted the car up twice - went over the exhaust - listened - looked -- checked egr valve- pipe - says air filters in good shape - and at this point suggests I get a pre smog test.

I'm looking for a "pre"- smog station and can not seem to find one. Is this "pre" process called something else?
Perhaps this includes a/c system leak detector? Otherwise I will take your advise.

Thank you all again!!

Considering mountain bike too!!
AGHH!

It could very well be a contaminate in the ventilation system as well but again I would have him check the flooring from the firewall to the trunk for holes that would allow a vacuum process to occur that would pull exhaust gases into the cabin from underneath the car.

There is more than just carbon monoxide in the exhaust system that is why the oxygen level dropped before seeing a significant CO reading. The low oxygen level is what is causing you to fell lightheaded and your lungs feeling like they are burning. The CO just gives you a headache before it takes you out.

Surprisingly a lot of people don’t notice the lightheadedness in a low oxygen atmosphere. They just start doing stupid things and acting like they are drunk.

Do you have the actual readings from the fire department’s combustion analyzer? Knowing what gas has displaced the oxygen would go a very long way toward finding the source.

Ambient air typically contains about 22% oxygen, 77% nitrogen, and 1-2% misc. Exhaust contains carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen, some unburned hydrocarbons, carbon, and some minor other constituants. Your AC refridgerant is dichlorodifluoromethane. If we knew what the composition of the air is, we could possibly find the source. Ask the Fire Department if they can do this for you. If not, there may be an air quality lab in your state’s government office listing that can.

This problem seems to have solved itself. I had the engine cleaned and I’m thinking I may have been putting too much oil in the car ??? I don’t know- but I’m thankful whatever it was is gone!

The car still has engine problems which I’ve just posted. Thanks for all your help.