Car won't start

Everything seems normal when I put the key in the ignition and start to turn it, the instrument panel lights up, it beeps to tell me to put on my seat belt etc. But, when I turn the key to the ‘start’ position, everything dies, lights go off, no more beeping, even the clock goes out. After a while the clock comes back on, and a few minutes later, the the other stuff starts to work again. I have had the starter and battery checked, and I can’t find any blown fuses. Why won’t my car start?

Sounds like corrosion build-up on the battery. The battery can send low-amp power through, but high-amp power causes the connection to fail. This is fairly common with older cars and trucks. The battery connections need to be removed and cleaned until nice, bright, and shiny. I like to take a small amount of baking soda, add just enough water to make a smooth paste, and use an old toothbrush to clean the battery terminals and battery clamps. The baking soda neutralizes the acid causing the corrosion. Then, I’ll take my battery terminal cleaner and finish the job. I do this every couple of years, and it only takes 30 minutes or so.

If you notice any cracks or breaks in the battery clamps, just replace them.

I forgot to mention that I also tried to jump start the car with the same results. Do you think it could still be the terminals?

I do. Do you think it could still be the terminals?

Remember you need to check BOTH ends of each cable. You also may want to try a little pull and push on the wire as the wires can have internal problems.

That was it, thanks.