Car won't start on first try occassionally

Hi,
I drive a 2005 Pontiac Vibe that occassionally will not start on the first try. It seems to only happen when I drive it, let it sit for a short amount of time (5min-1hr) and try to start it again. When this happens, it has always started on the second or third try. It always starts fine when it sits overnight. Is this something I need to be worried about or costly to fix?

Rachel

How many miles on the car? Is your check engine light on? Is it influenced by the weather (hot/cold/rain)? When you say it does not start, do you mean it cranks but does not catch, or does not even crank?

There’s only 55,000 miles on it. The check engine light does not come on and it has occurred in cold and warm weather. The engine turns over but doesn’t catch sometimes on the first try.

Some Toyota’s call for new spark plugs every 30K miles. What does the maintenance guide in your owner’s manual call for on your Vibe? When did you last get a new air filter? Does not sound like a problem, but at 55K miles you car might be due or overdue for some maintenance.