Car Washing Restriction in San Jose

I hope you realize that this type of thinking is one of the hallmarks of Paranoia. :wink:
Do you also think that people are following you? :smirk:

I used to know a guy who joked that he was so paranoid that the other paranoids were following him.

1 Like

What’s the saying? Something like: Just b/c you are paranoid doesn’t mean someone isn’t still out to get you … lol.

2 Likes

I am of the opinion that car washing constitutes a complete waste of an increasingly precious resource, whereas watering of plants keeps those organisms alive to continue converting carbon dioxide into oxygen for us to breathe. A dirty car will continue to perform its transportation function as well as a clean car.

2 Likes

George has been watering his car once each week for the last thirty years in an effort to rejuvenate the paint.

For decades in my area people have been advised to use a car wash facility so the water can be reclaimed, but this is not a requirement.

Yes, but other possibilities exist.

1 Like

Good point. Will try to be more trusting. May continue to be skeptical about a deep sea investigating however.

1 Like

I like the “have your own private well” plan myself.

So what you need to do is take a shower on top of your car. The wasted water from your shower will then fall down on to your car and someone else can be washing it.

1 Like

I know this is probably written in jest, but there are some places with the authorities would not think this is funny.

In Tucson, AZ, it is against the law to even serve water in a restaurant without the customer requesting it. You cannot water lawn, fill swimming pools or spas or operation fountains, or even use water-powered children’s toys, or other water features.

And a whole bunch of other restrictions. If you were in Tucson and you decided to take a shower on your car while someone washed it, you had better be wearing a “skirt” as the water police (WP) would not think you “shirting” the law, is funny. The first time they catch you, they warn you; the second time, they shut your water off and it’s a $250 reconnection fee and a $250 fine, it gets steeper the next time…

When I lived in Tucson in the late '90s, you could still wash your car, but you had better have a spigot that shut the water off when you were not using it, else the WP could levy fines on you even back then…

1 Like

This is similar to electricity around here. They have broken out the costs to deliver the electricity from the costs to generate it. It is meant to foster competition in the delivery fees. You can currently sign up for one of several companies offering that service.

So rather then eliminate that fee, adjust the ratio OR just charge way more for water in a graduated scale to punish high users more severely. It needs to be impactful in a meaningful way because the rich aren’t concerned about costs this low to encourage conservation of a resource that is obviously getting scarce there.

Watering plants could be considered higher in the priority chain than washing a car at home. Especially when you can drive to a facility that follows the conservation rules…

Arizona is a junior member of the water consortium. California is the only senior member, and I’m sure that’s why @George_San_Jose1 has fewer restrictions than someone in the rest of the Southwest. I’m sure you know that @LoudThunder, but other readers may not. Oh, and Cali farmers are more senior than consumers. That’s why Steve Dulcich always has water for his big farm near Bakersfield.

I imagine to some of you this sounds ludicrous, we get a sprinkling credit in summer time. The rational is the above normal water usage is credited a certian amount as the assumption is does not have to be treated at the sewage plant.

1 Like

You can always get something like this and then use the water in your garden.

If you route your rain gutters to a large water tank it will fill during the winter and then during the summer you can wash your old car with old water, thus satisfying both the water police and the natural rules of confluence. A true California solution.

Yeah Freiburger and Dulchich are always pressure washing vehicles before pulling in for teardown… I remember Steve was washing some kind of chemicals off of a part and David asked him where he got his drinking water from and Steve looked at him like oops, forgot about that, making it sound like Steve uses well water, but I don’t know either way…

The interesting thing about water is that it gets used, evaporates, and then returns as water again. Recycled, never used up. So shortages are mainly a distribution problem not a supply problem.

3 Likes

+1
Right now, my area is in the midst of an extended rainy period, but despite the daily deluges, we are still ~2 inches less than where we should be at this time of year because we had a snow-less winter.

The politician’s goal to promote conserving water to punish overuse and reward under-use using the fee schedule is a worthy one. I just think the residents who are using the water and paying the fees are in a better position than the politicians to decide the best use for their water.

Would the water police even be satisfied if you had your own water trucked in from the water abundant midwest? Isn’t their mentality that since you trucked water in, you should conserve it and only use it for essential things and share it with your neighbors so they can use it for things that water is allowed to be used for?

You have to read all the regulations. Here in LA it is ok to wash the car as long as you are not leaving it running, have to have a shot off nozzle. Our newer car gets washed by hand in our driveway, the older ones go to the local carwash. Not sure if they recycle their water but that is on them. Overall, my bill is not any different whether I wash the car or not, so I assume the amount used is not much, or they are just winging the meter.