Car was broken into...twice!

Yup, it’s me again. I have an ’03 Chevy Malibu and it keeps getting broken into. The first time 2 weeks ago and now yesterday. I’m basically staying with a friend so I can’t park the car elsewhere. I’m leasing it (I know, I was scammed by Carite) and I’m one year in. The sales guy told me that I can bring it back in one year and I’l be able to trade it in. Here’s the thing, I don’t want to relinquish the lease with a new lease in fear of being scammed…again. Plus, I’m saving up to move. And I definitely don’t want to bring a new car to that neighborhood because they may break into that one too.

Or, should I just go out and get a car alarm? (I’ve seen cheap ones on Walmart for about $50, but I’m no sure how much installation goes first—I have to make some calls)

This crap sucks…

Are you sure your lease allows you to install an aftermarket alarm? I don’t ever lease, so I don’t know how this normally works, but I’m wondering if you need to return the car in the original condition without an alarm and without the hacked-up wiring that you might have if you install one and then remove it.

1 Like

The alarm won’t do anything. NO one pays any attention to a car alarm going off, especially in a bad neighborhood. So its just a waste of money, IMHO.

I’ll offer another solution. Leave nothing in the car (I hope you are already doing this… since its been broken into twice) and leave it UNLOCKED. At least then the crooks won’t break anything to get in. They just open the door, look around and leave. If they steal the car, your lease problems go away with the insurance settlement.

1 Like

That sounds beautiful. I’ve been trying to get out of this lease anyway!
But, I have Lojack on it so they’ll be able to retrieve it.

Unplug the Lojack… Or if its stolen and stripped there won’t be enough left to be worth repairing by the time the police arrive. Car thieves in Detroit are as fast as a NASCAR pit crew in stripping a car.

I had a colleague that had his brand new Camaro Z28 stolen twice and recovered both times in an alley off 8-mile road in Detroit. The second time there weren’t enough parts left on the car to make sense rebuilding it. No interior, no engine, no rear axle, no front end sheet metal, no doors. And the car was 6 months old!

I would suspect that this leased used vehicle has the remote shut from the leasing place. Also if there is break in damage that will have to be repaired no matter when returned. The OP should have full coverage on this vehicle and as stated they should not be adding anything to change the vehicle from when it was leased.

I would advise the OP to read their paperwork to see if this is an actual lease or a rent to own type thing.

I’m surprised that anyone could or would lease a 13 or 14 yr old car. What is the advantage to that?

I agree with leaving it unlocked and empty. There’s not much else you can do if you can’t avoid parking there in the first place.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the advice, truly! Yeah, that was my first mistake out
of college–leasing that car. I thought I was financing it, but apparently
not. That’s what’s you get for rushing!

No, that is what you get for not reading what you sign. Let this be a lesson for your future. Read all contracts and if you do not understand what you are reading ask for clarification.

Since we’re being specific now… I did “read” it. It was a rush read, which is what I meant. Truth of the matter, this happened a year ago, so of course I learned my lesson…there’s no point of the “captain obvious” reply.

Leasing is not a problem,insurance is there for a reason, what are they stealing when they break into your car? hy is it more of a break in magnet than other cars, or aare many cars getting broken into in the same area?

Don’t drive that car into that neighborhood at all. Buy an old beat-up looking car for when you need to park there. As long as your car looks less enticing to steal from than the one parked next to it, you’ll be good to go.

A 2003 Chevrolet is an old car but not so old that it isn’t equipped with an immobilizer system. I think they are breaking into it for a reason other than stealing the car.

my former best friend lived for years in the city’s ghetto. Really bad. He told me when I came to visit him, leave the driver’s window down even if it were raining or snowing, and leave the doors unlocked.

He said if they see a locked car, they assume there is something of value and will break ALL the windows to find out. He said if the window is open and the car unlocked, you could leave $10,000 under the seat and it won’t be touched. Weird but true.

2 Likes

I remember a conversation on Car Talk years ago about a stolen battery. Someone’s battery was stolen, they got a new one, and it was promptly stolen again. Of course, said Ray, because that’s the plan. Steal the old battery, wait until the car’s been moved on the street, then steal the new one. I think he recommended securing the hood down with a strong chain.

Back in the 50’s my dad had the battery stolen from his car parked in an unlocked garage, So instead of backing in he drove straight into the garage, then the rear snow tires got stolen.

I was in the Dallas area a few years back, and saw a “used battery” store. Coming from a small town area, that cracked me up - my first thought was where does their inventory come from?

Make sure you have great insurance to cover the cost of the lease and leave your keys in the car or accidentally drop them near the car when you are carrying groceries in. Also make sure you leave the gas tank full and maybe throw in a $50 gas gift card in the seat.

Come visit Los Angeles . . .

You’ll see stores that sell primarily used tires and cheapo chinese tires