Car tuning with a Computer

I’m trying to tune my car. A friend told me about this great site that made a car tuning program that hooks up to your lap top so you can do it yourself. Has anyone heard anything about this? Here’s the link http://ppo2performance.com/docs/ Thanks

Sure you can tune it yourself. The catch is you have to get a tunable EMS(engine management system) or a tunable piggyback box to alter the stock computer input/output. That alone will cost a bundle. This kind of tuning is only really useful if you really customize your car with significant engine changes that the stock EMS can’t handle the changes. With a stock or lightly mod-ed car(exhaust-intake) your wasting your money, especially if you have to meet emissions.

Two posts on the same subject and also providing a link. No vested interest in this is there?

While you may not be able to get a lot more power out, depending on the make you may be able to do things like alter the idle speed, change how the car locks, and do diagnostic work to find bad coilpacks, etc.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, go for it. For a few hundred bucks you can save a bundle diagnosing problems and doing the work yourself. And if you want to change something, you can see directly how the ECU responds to the changes (for good or bad).

What kind of car do you own? It may be a fruitful effort or not worth it dependent on if supercharged/turbocharged or not.