Car that saves on gas?

I have been looking around to get another car that will get better gas mileage. I have a 2004 Silverado 4x4 that I will be driving in bad weather. I have been looking at the VW Jetta,Diesel Beetle, Honda Civic, and Toyota’s. I travel 94 miles round trip everyday to work. Mostly Highway miles. Anything else you could suggest in looking at. I would like to spend around 7000.00 on a used car. Thanks!

GIven your criteria find a Honda Civic/Toyota Corolla. If you want some comfort(I would 100 miles/day) look for a manual transmission Honda Accord 4 cylinder or Toyota Camry 4 cyl. You drop a bit in mileage however comfort and IMHO longevity/staying power of larger cars is much longer.

thanks. Anyone else with comments?

My 95 5 speed saturn gets 48 MPG on open road and 28 in city. Try a 05 or newer Saturn. Heard 2000 and newer are not as good with MPG

what model is the Saturn-Thanks

I second the Honda Accord recommendation. 5spd with 4 cyl. will get in the mid 30s.

I second the Honda Accord recommendation. 5spd with 4 cyl. will get in the mid 30s.

My wifes Accord with an automatic gets 35 highway. Automatics are far more efficient then they use to be…virtually the same gas mileage as a manual.

I can’t say what is best for you, but I get mid 40’s in the city and upper 50’s - low 60’s on the road in my VW Beetle TDI (Turbo Diesel Injection)

However for $7000 your buying an unknown quantity with an automatic transmission. Its a very expensive repair item if and really when they fail. Honda’s don’t have a great reputation in the early 2000’s especially.

Joseph: No kidding? That’s great mpg! How is the VW concerning reliability? Rocketman