Car Talk column about long-term parking

Re your June 28, 2019 article, “Long-term parking doesn’t have to drain your power.” (Fredericksburg, Virginia, The Free Lance-Star). A convenient solar batter minder will do the trick and you don’t need to get grease on you hands. Have used one for years on my boat motor battery.

For those who hadn’t seen it.

1 Like

I wonder how a solar charger or tender would work in a parking ramp? Much preferred to protect against snow, rain, hail, etc.

If I fly out of town for 3 to 5 weeks, I’ll either have my wife drive me to and from the airport or I’ll take a taxi/Uber. It’s a lot less expensive.

1 Like

Leaving my vehicle for 6 weeks at the cabins, not to worried, cars can sit on a lot for sale that long. Have a trickle charger if I need it.

Never had an issue but if we’re going to be away for more than two weeks it’s cheaper to take the airport shuttle. The lot we have used many times is so good that i’d be suprised if they can’t arrange a jump start if you need one. Can’t be the first time someone has come back from a trip to a dead battery.In a pinch we have one of those compact jump starter’s.

1 Like

Use of a solar battery charger would be a simple solution and no grease on hands.

In a message dated 6/29/2019 11:34:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, cartalk@discoursemail.com writes:

In this weeks Car Talk Ray talked about disconnecting the battery for a long time non use of the truck. There is an easier way, parts stores sell a battery disconnect device that attaches to the negative terminal and needs only to turn a knob to dissonect the battery.