Car runs without key in ignition

I own a 2003 subaru outback. Tonight when I took my keys out of the ignition my car kept running. It took several turns to get my car to shut off. I don’t know if this is related but about a month ago a friend of mine started my car after dropping my keys in the snow and the next morning I found ice in the ignition. Any ideas what caused my car to run without keys in it? Or how to fix it?

I think the ignition switch has gotten bad and needs to be replaced. I doubt that the friend can be blamed…or at least it’s not worth a friendship.

Yosemite

I’d be inclined to try spraying lock deicer in the switch to try to wash some of the ice and moisture out.

I would try a hair dryer as well, since you’re inside and the mechanism will heat up quickly and rive off the moisture.

If water got into the locking mechanism and froze, it could have done physical damage that won’t be corrected by drying it out, but it is worth a try.

I suspect that the damage is to the link between the key lock and the electrical switch.

I agree with Keith…On most cars, the ignition switch and the key lock are two separate parts, sometimes separated by a considerable distance but linked together by some means, frequently a rod traveling down the steering column…Column tear-downs are best left to the pros…

Once you get this fixed, be sure to remove any unnecessary weight from your key chain. And keep the key chain as short as possible. Stuff swinging from the key chain as you drive around can, over time, damage the ignition lock.

As Caddyman said, .".On most cars, the ignition switch and the key lock are two separate parts, sometimes separated by a considerable distance but linked together by some means, frequently a rod traveling down the steering column…Column tear-downs are best left to the pros…". However, my car has a wireless ignition and accelerator.

Look at a parts website and see the assembly.
The lock cylinder is in a housing.
The ignition switch is in the other end of that housing.
Then there’s stuff in there you can’t but except with the assembly.
The linkage and mechanism that connects the two and moves the lock tab in and out.
The ice probably caused sufficient binding to end up breaking something inside.

I think you’ll be buying that assembly.
I’m looking at Auto Zone…$ 230.00 a/t…135.00 m/t.
Try rock auto ( 127 & 123 ) and others as well

Wireless?

Yes, that is what I understand!

CABLE-less

ken green, would an ignition switch have a “cable”? I only know that my son’s 2010 Jeep Liberty refused to start or anything and the Dealer replaced the “wireless Ignition Module” I assumed it was wireless from the ign switch.

Here is a link for your switch. It’s wired but does not look to have a mechanical cable.
http://www.bestvalueautoparts.com/Replacement_Parts/SUBARU/OUTBACK/Ignition_Lock_Tumbler.html

IF the ingnition lock is turning the ignition switch…

I’m not seeing an ignition module unless it’s Subaru only… ( by cable-less I was refering to the accelerator being just a position sensor these days )
Otherwise it’s the main computer, wire harnesses to ignition coil pack, throttle body and sensors like crank, tps, and cam.

knfenimore Junior Grease Monkey , Well my car is a Grand Caravan, not a Subaru. I don’t know that it is different, but I believe it is.

This makes me think that my van has wireless ignition.

Expansion of Wireless Ignition Node - Media.Chrysler.com

media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?id=15772&mid=1 - 95k - Cached - Similar pages

Statement: Expansion of Wireless Ignition Node (WIN) safety recall. July 1, 2014 … Vehicles equipped with a FOB key may experience inadvertent ignition switch …

@EllyEllis original post says 2003 Subaru Outback. What year is the Grand Caravan.

Well, I knew that my post had nothing to do with the thread but I just threw it in anyway. Sorry, I will get out of here.