Car runs bad only after sitting for a short period of time

I have a 96 Pontiac Sunfire and for some reason it has problems after sitting for short periods. It will start fine, but as I push the accelerator it bogs down for a quick second and then recovers. Then when I drive off it acts as though it’s not getting enough gas and bogs down again sometimes even stalling. Once I get it up to speed on down the road it runs perfectly fine with no more problems until the next time I start it after parking it for a short period. If it sits all night or all day while I’m at work, I don’t have this problem at all. Any ideas what this could be?

Check for codes, and then off the top of my head I would check your engine temperature sensor. A possibility is that it is
reading too cool for the real temp and making the engine run a bit rich. Or, the engine has cooled off a bit, needs a somewhat
richer mix but the sensor telling the computer that it is still hot.

You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here. You may have codes even if you don’t have a CEL on.