Car running rough

Car is running rough. At stops, the RPMs go up and down. It sometimes stalls out when in reverse. There is also a squeeking noise that sounds like breaks going bad, except it stops when breaking. In 2008 we had the oxygen sensor and idle air control valve replaced. This summer we had a tune up the injectors cleaned and the fuel filter replaced. Still having trouble, we took the car back and they replaced the MAF sensor. Now 3 months later, the car is running rough again. What could it be?

“At stops, the RPMs go up and down. It sometimes stalls out when in reverse.”

Since the MAF and the IAC have already been replaced, I would suggest that you check for a vacuum leak. If I am correct, this should be a really cheap repair.

“There is also a squeeking noise that sounds like breaks going bad, except it stops when breaking.”

Assuming that you are referring to brakes, rather than something that you broke (sorry, but I just can’t resist), you have described the classic sound of a brake wear indicator. These little metal devices in the brake pad will begin to make their chirping noise when the pads are almost gone, and the noise will stop when you step on the brake. The noise will also stop when the brake pads are totally worn out. Then, the next sound that you will hear is that of your car colliding with another.

Thanks so much for your quick reply!! I really appreciate it - even though I can’t spell.