Car recomendation

I was hoping to get a recommendation on a good car. We have a 1999 Grand Prix GTP that is starting to “show it’s age” by frequent problems. My wife and I (my wife since it is her car and myself since I have to do the troubleshooting and repair!)are considering buying a used car that is newer and more reliable. We are hoping to get a 2006 or newer age range. We want something that would get very good gas mileage but still be roomy enough for us and out 2 kids so we could use it for road trips. The car would be also be my wife’s primary commute to work car. Our budget is $15,000-20,000. My wife likes the Prius but they are a little pricey-even the used ones!

Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Clay & Penny Hauke
Huntsville, AL

I’d look at a intermediate with a 4-cylinder, like a Fusion, Accord, Camry, or Altima.

Malibu, Too. As Texases Suggests, You’ll Have To Do Some Homework And Look At Some Cars.

Compare cars and prices and don’t overlook Manufacturers Certified Pre-Owned used cars. These cars are less than a few years old and can’t have too many miles on them. Sometimes the price difference isn’t much if anything and the warranty (drivetrain & bumper-to-bumper) can be considerably better. That keeps buyer’s remorse under control when buying used.

I am speaking from experience. I bought one with 10,000 miles (14 months old) and the 36 month / 36,000 mile GM bumper-to-bumper warranty was extended to 48 months / 48,000 miles and of course I got the balance of the 60 month / 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty. That’s on a less than $14,000 Certified Pre-Owned used car. We’ve put another 10,000 miles on it and haven’t needed the warranty, but it’s nice to have.

I have heard good things about the Fusion. There’s a Hybrid, too. I believe they do well in the safety department. Don’t forget to compare that as well and insurance costs. Safer cars are often less to insure and saves money over the long haul.

CSA

I agree. Intermediates have become quite efficient and for a family of four with all the travel gear, they are the smallest I would recommend. Son has a Fusion 6 cylinder and like many Cars it performs best that way. Unless you go with the hybrid which son said was excellent but expensive, the most economical with decent performance for the price are still Accords and Camrys in 4 cyl.

You can get a CPO Malibu LT2 with the 4-cyl for under $20,000. Without CPO, dealer prices are under $19,000.

Throw Hyundai Sonata into the mix as well.

Next weekend would be a good time to shop; it’s the last weekend of the month AND a holiday weekend, no one will be looking for a car. If you can get lucky, you might be able to find a left over 2010 still sitting on the lot and can get a heavy discount while still being a new car.

A brand new Altima could be had for $18K + fees + Tax, $17.5 for the Fusion, so might not need to go used car shopping.