Car jolting during deceleration

My 2015 Jeep Compass (6 speed automatic transmission) is “Bucking” or “Jerking” when coming to a stop. It happens at the same exact spot everytime, ~1250 RPM, and shoots up to ~1500 RPM, then goes down again to ~1250 RPM, this time shooting up to ~1400 RPM, then the RPMs drop as normal as it comes to a complete stop. It feels like i’m being lightly rear ended or jolted forward during this process. My fluid levels are normal. The Jeep has 94k miles. Is this a sign of a faulty transmission?

Yes, very possible. The trans fluid should have been changed at least twice–preferably three times–so far. Has it been?

I strongly suggest that you drive to an independent trans shop* for their evaluation of the situation. At the very least, you likely need to have the trans fluid changed. Just be prepared for them to suggest that an overhaul is needed.

*Be sure to avoid chain-run joints like AAMCO, Lee Myles, Cottman, and Mr. Transmission. They are likely to claim that an overhaul is necessary, even if only more minor repairs are needed.

2 Likes

Does your Compass use a limited slip rear differential? If so, the differential clutches might be sticking. It may be all you need is the differential gear oil replaced with fresh stuff, and a dose of Jeep-spec friction modifier. Another possibility, if you have a two-piece rear drive shaft, the connecting splines may be sticking and in need of a lube.

I would check that your throttle body and IAC valve if equipped are clean. Additionally, try it in a gear other then overdrive/regular drive. Your torque converter shouldn’t lock up in a lower gear, this would possibly rule out a torque converter issue if the behavior doesn’t change.

If it feels like you are coming to a stop in a manual transmission vehicle without depressing the clutch pedal then you probably have a TCC (torque converter clutch) lock up issue… If you don’t know how to drive a stick shift then nvm… lol

You can try down shifting as you slow down to see if it goes away or even put it in neutral before it is about to happen to see if it still does it…

But it sound like you need to take it to a transmission shop to have it checked out…

It’s a 6 speed automatic transmission. I tried putting in in neutral as I come to a stop and it doesn’t do it. Is this a good sign?

Thanks for your reply

The problem doesn’t occur when I put it in neutral is I come to a stop. What do you think this means?

If your brake lights are working then it sounds like your TCC is not releasing correctly…

Shooting from 1250 to 1500 RPM? And from 1250 to 1400 RPM? I wouldn’t call that “shooting”. I’d call that normal downshifting. How long have you owned this car?

I say shooting because its very noticeable and you can really feel the car changing its momentum. I’ve had the car for 2 months and the dealership said its normal but it doesnt feel like anything i’ve ever experienced. When I put it in neutral as I come to a stop, the problem does not occur.

That is why you need to take it–a.s.a.p.–to an independent trans shop for diagnosis.

1 Like

Putting in neutral doesn’t really help with diag. Try using the autostick and only use lower gears. The torque converter shouldn’t lock up in lower gears. So if the problem goes away, it is likely the TCC issue mentioned by others.

Some late model vehicles downshift earlier during deceleration than what drivers are accustomed to, this reduces brake wear and the elevated engine speed keeps the catalyst hot. I don’t think a transmission shop will be able to change this, but they might take your money.