Car insurance... state mandated extortion?

those who would choose safety over liberty are deserving of neither, to paraphrase a great man.

those who would choose safety over liberty are deserving of neither, to paraphrase a great man.

Whoever said that never was broadsided by a drunk driver with no insurance who was driving his “natural speed” when he blew thru a light and plowed into someone making them a quadriplegic.

yes rick, as I said before. laws and rules have supported everything from slavery to genocide. blindly following rules is foolish

“and don t change the subject to guns to start a flame war.”

Huh?
I am not changing the subject. I was merely responding to one of the fairly ridiculous statements that you made, namely:
“by that logic you should buy insurance
 to own a gun?”

At this point, I really have to question your memory if you can’t even recall what you posted ~45 minutes earlier.

rick I have never said natural speed soi don t know why you put it in quotes as if I did. you have taken this back to alchohol again, as you do everything. I m sorry about whatever happened in your life that was caused by alchohol. it wasn t me tho, I have no DWI s and don t even drink at all anymore.

it was ben franklin.

do you work for the insurance industry?

the subject is car insurance.

if you want to resort to insults that s your choice, but its not a very good way to make your point

"by that logic you should buy insurance... to own a gun?"

Just for fun, shop for homeowner’s insurance and see what happens to your rates if you volunteer that you have a couple of firearms.
Now, see what happens to your homeowner’s insurance quote if you have a swimming pool or backyard trampoline.

don t get me started on the evils of trampolines. :slight_smile: so many people have given me grief about not letting my daughter go to a local trampoline gym that opened a couple years back

now the gym is closed because of so many injuries. and that place was modern and supposedly safe.

I suppose the high insurance rates forced them to shut down.

so I guess the ins. industry isn t all bad. just the auto and health divisions, where it s mandated extortion.

I think you are missing the point,@wesw. Insurance costs less per person because we all pay for it. The actual cost as a whole doesn’t change, it is just all out front. If someone goes to the emergency room and can’t pay for it, they are not turned away. The hospital pays for it and finds a way to pass that cost on to the insured people that come in for services. The same would happen with automobiles. If someone is in an accident, it is their fault, and the cost is beyond what they can ever pay, the other party’s insurance will pay their client’s medical bills and fix the mechanical damage. But insurance costs go up as a result because the insurance company has to be repaid.

Insurance is also why we no longer see high diving boards at most public swimming pools or diving boards at all at home, hotel, or apartment complex swimming pools.

“do you work for the insurance industry?”

No, I do not, but it seems that, like many people who don’t like somebody’s response, you automatically assume that they are in the employ of the group that is perceived as the enemy. Several times, I (and some other forum members) have been “accused” of working for the auto industry when we point out that a car owner was irresponsible.

“the subject is car insurance”

Of course it is, but you are the one who chose to bring unrelated things like lawn mowers, rose bushes and guns into the discussion. Have you already forgotten that?

“if you want to resort to insults that s your choice, but its not a very good way to make your point”

I believe that my point is very clear, and I stand by my statement about whether you recall what you–yourself–posted, and which I included in my initial response. It was an objective observation, and was not intended as an insult.

In Ohio, the required minimum is 25/50 liability, similar to most states. 95% of insured drivers here choose to carry more (I choose 10 times more). This is not a burning issue here. Another great man said, “Choose your battles wisely.”

You could always self-insure

“You could always self-insure
”

But how many people can afford to put $50,000 or more in escrow for this purpose?

“You could always self-insure
”

For individuals, this is simply not practical–in most cases.
However, I think that some corporations do self-insure.

It should be very interesting to see the amount of the insurance claims against Wal-Mart for the death of one person and 3 severely-injured people that resulted from one of their drivers recently hitting Tracey Morgan’s limo-bus–while traveling 65 mph, at night, in a 45 mph construction zone.

For anyone who thinks that insurance should not be mandatory, just think about how many millions of $$ will be demanded for that accident. And, even though it involved an 18-wheeler, a dangerous car driver could have caused essentially similar damage. If the hypothetical car driver in that situation was not insured, attaching his salary would not make any of the plaintiffs whole unless the driver lived and continued to work for
maybe a couple of hundred years.

if you had read my posts you would see that I have said, this is the third time, that I am not against insurance, I am against being forced to stuff the pockets of special interests, like the insurance industry. if it is judged to be in the best interests of society to have insurance against catastrophy, it should be run as a cooperative, not as a boon to special interests

Does that mean you want a government run insurance plan?

if you had read my posts you would see that I have said, this is the third time, that I am not against insurance, I am against being forced to stuff the pockets of special interests, like the insurance industry. if it is judged to be in the best interests of society to have insurance against catastrophy, it should be run as a cooperative, not as a boon to special interests

This I agree with, I think insurance should be required if you own and drive a car, but why not have insurance co-ops?

Death to Capitalism!!! Yay!!!

Really why should shareholders get involved in insurance anywho?

no. we have electric co ops that are not government run. they seem to do fine and have lower prices.

obamacare is not what I want that s for sure. its just mandating that we buy a product from special interests

rick, in a co op, all the members are share holders