Car hood flew off while driving, safe to keep engine uncovered?

“The tarp idea only applies when parked.”

Reminds me of the warnings on those windshield sun screens: “Remove before driving”. Makes the assumption that someone dumb enough to drive with cardboard covering the windshield, that they can or are willing to READ.

It fine and road warrior/mad max is back in vogue.

Your may have local laws though but doubtful .

“It fine and road warrior/mad max is back in vogue”

sorry, this makes no sense to me.

You could turn this into an insurance claim. They would pay everything except the latch and deductible

Reminds me of the warnings on those windshield sun screens: "Remove before driving". Makes the assumption that someone dumb enough to drive with cardboard covering the windshield, that they can or are willing to READ.

Great Quote -" I 'm not saying we should kill stupid people. We should just remove the warning labels and let the problem solve itself."

“It fine and road warrior/mad max is back in vogue. Your may have local laws though but doubtful .”

If I could take some liberty and rephrase according to my understanding, I would say that this said he should drive it without the hood unless their are local laws against it, and that driving a road warrior vehicle without a hood is back in style. Might have to get a tattoo or two to get away with it though.

One of the tattoos has to state your blood type . . . like in the recent Mad Max movie

I was riding with my dad when the hood came off the car in front of us, blew over the top of that car and came right at us. Dad braked, but the pavement was wet. Our car skided and we went into the ditch. Our car started to roll over, but a utility pole prevented the rollover. The hood on the car that caused the problem, a 1953_Ford, had not been bolted to the hinges. The men driving the car slapped the hood back on the Ford and drove away. We had the license number but the sheriff said that nothing could be done. Our car, a 1954 Buick only sustained a dent in the top above the passenger side door. However, the car was leaning at such an angle, the first wrecker driver said he was afraid to try to pull it out and we had to get a second wrecker with a more experienced driver

However, it did not "block my view entirely". You see, I could see out my side window and once my first response was over, in a second, I was in complete control of the vehicle and brought it to a halt

Is this a reference to my post about my friend? Naturally, I was referring to the view out the front windshield only. It would be a pretty impressive and abnormal hood if it could cover every window at once, right? Since my friend is still alive to relate the story, he also managed to use what was available to him to negotiate to the side and avoid getting creamed in the process. I can imagine that having other cars in close proximity all around you doing 65+ mph on the expressway, it can be a bit more challenging to recover and “bring it to a halt”…

Right. My point was sometimes it is panic or lack of time to think which results in a bad ending. In my case, no curve, no cars close, and I was very young and in good shape so I had time to sort it out with no sweat. Also only doing maybe 35 or 40, though that is fast on a rough gravel road with a fully loaded truck.

Sometimes all you can do is hit the brakes, try to stay on the road, and hope you stop in time.

Some years ago we were heading east on a two lane and a truck loaded with hay bales was headed west. A semi was in front of us and a car in back of us. We all were keeping a decent distance. As the truck with hay came into sight coming around a curve, it was losing its load. It was total black out for a minute. The semi ahead of me took the brunt and jack knifed on top of some bales but we stopped in time as did the car in back of us. When you are blinded though there really is not much else you can do and hope everyone else is doing the same thing. What a mess a whole semi load of hay bales makes on the highway. I still keep my distance from these guys.

@irlandes

Agreed! Difficult to ever be prepared for such an event. Some people are better at thinking “on their feet” so to speak while others just lock up and accept fate. You never really know how you will react until confronted with such an experience…If I’m the passenger, I hope you, or someone with your composure, is at the wheel… :smile:

I will never forget the time I was doing 55mph on my motorcycle negotiating a sweeping expressway ramp when I came upon a truck that had lost its load of 3" diameter pipes in the roadway, strewn like pick up sticks. Split second decision; dump bike or try riding it out. I got it upright, stood on the pegs and took them as perpendicular as I could. That had a high pucker factor… :wink:

I had a flat one-time in the far left lane on I-495 during rush-hour. It was one scary 10 minutes. I drove to the next exit. Getting over 3 lanes doing 40 during rush-hour was scary…but far less dangerous then trying to change a flat or wait for a tow truck. People get killed on I-495 doing that.

That would be terrifying. Unless my car was completely immobilized, there is no way I’m stopping on the expressway during rush hour around here. Especially 93 where the breakdown lanes are open to through traffic during those times. If I was forced to stop, you’d see me 30’ off in the grass waiting. Sitting in the car would be foolish let alone being outside trying to change a tire.

Amazing you got across all 4 lanes without getting pasted in the process…

And bad luck often has company. Like with Mike, the problem often doesn’t happen on an empty road with no traffic and with plenty of warning. Accidents often happen with multiple causes: night, bad weather, distractions, THEN toss on something the driver never experienced. One reason those Firestone blowouts were so deadly, they were total surprises to folks. Car and Driver tried to prove it wasn’t that big a problem by rigging up a tire to blow on an Explorer as they drove around a track. Of course, they could handle it. But that’s nothing like the situation in real life.