Car goes in limp mode on cold start, restart engine and it’s normal again

When my car is cooled going to work in the morning, I start the car and it stays above 1k rpm. Driving the car its stuck in limp mode and wont pass 3k rpm and 40mph. I have to wait a minute after initially turning the car on to turn it off and turn it back on and it goes back to normal. After several hours of the car sitting it will eventually do the same thing again, get stuck in limp and have to restart it to drive.

Sometimes the check engine light triggers and it permanently puts the car in limp mode until I clear it. The only warning that pops up is “Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor A Circuit High”

I did some research about this and found several things. One is that the turbo waste-gate is faulty and needs to be replaced and voltage adjusted. Another thing is that the boost sensor needs to get changed.

One thing I did notice is that when the car initially starts and is in limp mode, I can freely move the turbocharger actuator open and closed. When I restart the car and it’s running normally, I can no longer move the actuator.

Before I start buying and changing out parts, does anyone happen to know what could be causing this issue or know any solutions? Any advice is appreciated.

Car is a 2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T

I thought you worked in a restoration shop . Seems like you would have access to several places that can tell you just what is wrong with your vehicle .

Clearing a code to fix a problem is like unplugging the EKG to cure a heart attack.

Don’t clear it, read the codes.

2 Likes

You are gonna makes us guess aren’t you? You could have given us the actual code but instead gave just a description…

Guessing a P2565 code.

Potential causes for this code to set are:

Short to power in the signal circuit to the TBCPS sensor - possible
Open in ground circuit at TBCPS sensor - possible
Failed TBCPS Sensor - likely
Failed PCM - unlikely

So seems the internet agrees that the most likely failure is the TBCPS… If that sensor in inside the wastegate actuator, then that is what needs to be replaced.

Read more at: P2565 Turbo Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit High
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

1 Like

Yes the code is P2565 and P2562. My bad, I forgot to provide the code as I was writing this. But I am curious, why does it go away after restarting the car after a minute of idle? The issue wont reappear after a few hours of sitting cold (around 8 hrs) I’m worried to buy a sensor and then the issue is still there.

It is a sensor issue. Sensor issue are often intermittant initially and fail completely later. I think that is what you have.

For example, I have a speed sensor failing in my car’s transmission. When it stops working, the car stays in 5th gear and the speedo dies. Sometime sets a check engine light. Always sets a code.

You can suffer with it until it fails completely, or replace it now and drive on.

2 Likes

Thank you for the tips. I ordered the boost sensor and when it comes I’ll update if it fixed the issue

1 Like

Update: Installed new sensor. It worked…. Next day, car enters limp mode again and doesn’t exit out of limp unless I turn off the car after 2 minutes of idle and turn on again. The old sensor was fine.

Codes still remained the same, P2565. The check engine Will likely turn on again and enter permanent limp mode with P2562 code as well. . I have a new Wastegate on order which is what the P2562 code is for so I’m hoping thats the final thing that needs replaced. If that doesn’t fix then I honestly don’t know… boost leak maybe?

Replacing the wastegate actuator fixed both issues, sensor was fine.

1 Like