Car battery acid spill in back seat if car

Okay so me being a bit careless i set a brand new car battery in my back seat meaning to return it to the store as i had gotten the wrong one. Long story short I forgot about it bc a lot of things have happened in the last couple of week. Unfortunately the battery tipped over on its side a few days ago and leaked all of the liquid contents all over and in my cloth seats. I have neutralized with baking soda as much a I possibly could the day i found it by applying the baking soda and then rinsing it, probably about 10 time. (All of the bubbles/ reactions stopped at 9 but i did it one more time for safe measure). Well today i looked back at the seat and i looks like there are new stains slowly coming to the surface and iMm worried I didn’t neutralize all of that acid. Any tips? I have no way to extract the extra water and my fear it that the acid will continue to eat away ate the seat if I can’t neutralize it all. Also, this my or may not be related but i had put a hand full of change (all brand new looking changes and mostly made up of pennies) in my center console a few days before the acid spill, and today all of the pennies are half way corroded, I’m starting to worry that the acid some how bound to the water as it was evaporating out out of the seat and into my really hot car and is slowly coating everything. Any advice would be extremely appreciated!!

1 Like

I’m afraid you’re SOL.

Tester

7 Likes

Hyundai Accent? Go to junkyard and get a $20 seat. Easy.

7 Likes

Have to agree with tester on this one.

1 Like

Tester

If you look at seat construction, it’s a lot of foam rubber under the cloth. You’ll never get it out. Can’t take the battery back no either probably with the acid leaked out.

Are they east to replace?

most likely you just pull it upward and it will detach, reassembly is repeating same steps in the opposite order :slight_smile:

I would imagine the earlier you remove the seat, the less damage around you will get

wash everything around with baking soda until it stops fizzing

you might get lucky drenching the seat in baking soda solution and then rinsing it, probably 10+ times, but I would think the seat is ruined even is it is not disintegrating this very moment

1 Like

I would check auto scrap yards. you can probably get a replacement seat in the same color.

4 Likes

The stains seeping up are after about 10 rounds of baking soda and rinsing. This is two days after i first attempted to neutralize it

that’s a summer-time, so getting it dry is easy - just let it be outside for a day or two

I think you need not only to rinse, but use appropriate vacuum cleaner (like ShopVac or wet carpet cleaning one) to actually remove water and “stuff” from inside… rinse&wipe method is unlikely to help

I was able to get quite a lot of non-acidic stains my kids managed to leave behind this way

still, I think the best is to look for replacement seats on the junk-jards or online

check ebay for example:

1 Like

I’d replace the seat. If the acid did that to your pennies, what do you think it’s doing to your lungs?

1 Like

Thank you so much!

I have been riding with all of the windows down for that reason and only spending travel time (20 minutes at most) in there. I know it’s definitely not good for my lungs regardless.

note the pictures from ebay listing: the bottom cushion has nothing but spring clips from the looks, so you pull it up and it detaches

1 Like

you need to push back and up on the seat.

2 Likes

Looks like it will be a simple replacement, just have to find the full seat (top and bottom) for a decent price. Even if it’s not the same color, i can always buy seat covers. My biggest concern is the acid getting to the floor board and eating through the metal.

I would take the bottom part out now and then clean the floor under it.
and make sure you wear gloves and eye protection in case of wet fluid flying up when removing. also old clothes because anything the acid touches it will eat through. you might not notice it right away but you will when you take it out of the wash. have gotten a lot of holes in jeans from battery acid. lol

2 Likes

You all have been so much help! Thank you so much!

1 Like

Yeah good idea to get the back and seat at the same time if you find a matching one in the junk yard. Looks like the back might have been affected too and who would want to sit on it. Getting them both means they will match. The back will be a little harder to replace and might bolt on but shouldn’t cost that much to have someone do it.

Note: I always put batteries on the floor if I’m transporting them and usually inside another container to keep them upright. Horse out of the barn and all but worth saying.

4 Likes