Can't Figure Out Whether to Buy Compact Truck/SUV, etc. - HELP!

At this point, we could go round and round on advice from others and my self. But, preference for a certain color, unwillingness to deal with certain dealers or buy a used car when it seems you can’t afford a new in a vehicle type you really want makes any more advice we give less helpful to you. Your priorities in choosing a car are different from mine, so I don’t feel any more advice I give will be of help.
Best of luck in your search.

I can sympathsize with Ford Taurus water problem. I own a 2001, and water leaked so bad that it ruined two blower motors. I finally solved it by making a cone shaped filter out of aluminum heater duct tape to go over and around the cabin intake filter which would fill the blower motor and floorboard with water every time it rained. Not an often occurrence in West Texas. You would think Ford would have fixed the problem between 2001 and 2003, huh?
With regard to your new vehicle, we love our Hyundai Santa Fe, but if you want a vehicle that you can get dirty look at the Honda Pilot, available with washable rubber mats and interior.

well i don’t go around in the mud or anything… & i don’t care that much about the dirt (worst is usually some sand & a bunch of pine needles, & maybe a little cat litter). how long have you had the santa fe? guess i’m wondering about hyundais in the first place.

i keep changing my mind. one second i’m set on the toyota truck, & the next i’m wavering back over by the hyundai tucson/kia sportage side of things.

yeah, i’ve already dealt w/the water problem more than i care to (especially since i paid for a fix that didn’t work, so i just tossed the $200 out). they should have fixed the problem overall, but they’re being jerks.

i do have a preference for a certain color, due to the fact that i intend on keeping the vehicle for 10 years! i don’t want to look at a boring silver thing year after year after year. i don’t want a used vehicle due to recent experience. i don’t want to spend all the cash i have for obvious reasons. everyone’s priorities in vehicle choice are different, aren’t they? i think so…especially when someone has a different lifestyle or income level or whatever…

Living on a fixed income does perhaps make my priorities different. Sacrificing a more reliable vehicle because it wasn’t the right color is not a consideration if the right color breaks down and leaves me time to admire it while waiting for the tow truck. Living for 10 years with a car I will grow to hate because of make or model because I was unwilling to accept a used and more reliable alternative of the style I want. Running away from a good deal because my personality conflicted with a sales person or dealership and not finding away to cordially communicate and do my research…you’re right. My priorities and perspectives are different because of “whatever”; probably age and experience.
I do wish you the vary best, but trust advice of those here, we all have similar priorities but sometimes we have to re prioritize our priorities as well. There’s too much $$$$ involved in car purchasing to let some things get in our way. We can’t have that dream car/house if we can’t afford it.

BTW, if I could get a boringly silver used Vette in great condition for a great deal, I could be learn to “live” with it for 10 years. I only have to look while climbing in. Let my neighbors be offended as I bubble on by.

haha… well i wouldn’t want a vette, no matter what color. & it’s a lot more than just getting in that you see the color or whatever vehicle it is.

i’m not sure where you’re getting all this info about me not spending on a better vehicle, as i was just discussing possibly buying a toyota tacoma from a fleet manager. is that not good enough? should i go for a used mercedes? i’m not even sure why people are suggesting toyotas with the problems they’re having, to be honest.

and i DO live on a fixed income, so this is why it’s important that i make the right choice FOR ME. there is nothing to say that a silver vehicle (used or otherwise) is gonna be the right one for me, since that one could turn out to be a lemon just like the one i have now, or the toyota my friend bought as a certified vehicle from the crappy dealership that didn’t want to order a car, but just wanted to sell off their lot.

not really what alternative you’re suggesting? an older toyota w/less warranty, so i can pay for repairs that much sooner?

Just a google example of 2009 4cyl auto Toyota for $15K that’s unfortunately silver with 8200 miles, still under new car warren…within 30 minutes…just an example in this backwoods area of possibilities you have to eliminate and why any advice going through your filter means your own voice is what’s most important.
The traction/safety devices are equal to or better than ANY equal value car on the market. But it’s in Silver…forget it. that’s my point.

About This Tacoma
Mileage: 8,212
Body Style: Regular Cab Pickup
Exterior Color: Silver
Stock #: 22131A
VIN: 5TENX22NX9Z613715

Engine: 2.7L I4
Transmission: AUTO
Drivetrain: 4X2
Doors: 2
CARFAX 1-Owner Vehicle
View Free Report
Standard Equipment: 4-Wheel ABS Brakes, Front Ventilated Disc Brakes, 1st Row Curtain Head Airbags, Passenger Airbag, Side Airbag, Digital Audio Input, In-Dash Single CD Player, Mp3 Player, Am/Fm/Satellite-Capable Radio, Total Number Of Speakers: 4, Braking Assist, ABS And Driveline Traction Control, Stability Control, Privacy Glass: Light, Plastic/Vinyl Steering Wheel Trim, Plastic/Rubber Shift Knob Trim, Tachometer, Manual Remote Driver Mirror Adjustment, Manual Remote Passenger Mirror Adjustment, Passenger Vanity Mirrors, Cloth Seat Upholstery, Front Bench, Tilt And Telescopic Steering Wheel, Power Steering, Suspension Class: Regular, Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Vehicle Emissions: Lev II, Fuel Type: Regular Unleaded, Fuel Capacity: 21.0, Instrumentation: Low Fuel Level, Clock: In-Dash, Driver Seat Head Restraint Whiplash Protection, Head Restraint Whiplash Protection With Passenger Seat, Coil Front Spring, Regular Front Stabilizer Bar, Independent Front Suspension Classification, Double Wishbone Front Suspension, Front Independent Suspension, Leaf Rear Spring, Rigid Axle Rear Suspension, Leaf Rear Suspension, Front Suspension Stabilizer Bar, Intermittent Front Wipers, Steel Spare Wheel Rim, Spare Tire Mount Location: Underbody W/Crankdown, Black Grill, Overall Length: 190.4, Front Head Room: 40.0, Front Leg Room: 41.7, Front Shoulder Room: 58.1, Front Hip Room: 53.6, Two 12v DC Power Outlets, Seatbelt Pretensioners: Front, Door Reinforcement: Side-Impact Door Beam, Cupholders: Front, Door Pockets: Driver And Passenger, Tires: Speed Rating: S, Tires: Prefix: P, Rear Door Type: Tailgate, Black Bumpers, Fixed Antenna, 2 Door
Hide Additional Features
Seller’s Notes: Emerson Toyota home of the “Back Forty” and the 30 minute no hassle guarantee. Contact Michelle for details.

but i’m looking for access cab…

Then google same on cars.com and look for access cab near you, I’m just showing you possibilities that are used but not your color but still make great reliable vehicles…your call, not mine.

just did that & only 3 tacomas w/i 50 miles, & nothing less than 58,000 miles…

Expand your search to greater radius find lower miles elsewhere as even closer dealers that don’t contain model will honor manufacturer’s warranty. Keep checking weekly as available models change.
BTW, a Toyota with 50K miles has more potential trouble free life than a new Ranger.

yeah but i’m not getting an old vehicle. there’s nothing to say that toyota won’t have trouble. this is the last time in my life (probably) that i will be able to get something new (or almost new) & i want a warranty! it is a completely different situation being a female in the whole car situation, which i can’t stress enough. i know you like toyotas & feel that they’re trouble free, but it’s not what i have seen in other situations. i didn’t say i was buying a ranger anymore - i excluded that choice awhile back.

Well, it seems like you need/want a pickup, but if you want to look at the Hyundai Santa Fe I can say that my daughter’s experience with their 5 year bumper-to-bumper warranty was really good. They even replaced a burned out headlight bulb under that warranty. She has had very few problems in the first 6 years of ownership, although her car is an Elantra, but Hyundai in general seems to have gotten very good reliability ratings lately.

actually it’s the hyundai tucson i was considering…

a lot of people say to go with honda or toyota, but i don’t know what to do.

it seems that hyundai is getting higher ratings these days, so i may still consider.

p.s. i wonder what happens after the 6 years tho!

Those 2 are the default choices, and their resale value shows it. Shopping used, they’re always gonna be older/more miles than a domestic/korean brand vehicle

well now i’m considering a honda instead… imagine that.

in fact i’ve almost got my mind made up. just hope i can get a decent price is all. unfortunately, honda doesn’t seem to have any cash back or any other incentives (especially since i won’t be financing).