Can you replace dual filament headlight with LED?

Yup, that works. I did that for my niece’s car because I know it’ll be a miracle if she checks the oil on a regular basis, much less waxes the thing. :wink:

I hear you :slight_smile:

My kid tends to take great care of her car: she owns it for around 3 years and so far she did 2 car-washes and vacuumed it once :slight_smile:

I dunno, I use Meguire’s Plast x on all my lens twice a year when I wax the cars. I have never had any of my headlights yellow, ever. I’ll let you know in ten years if I’m all wet.

Plast-X ?
I use it too, also twice a year, 7-years-old car has absolutely new-looking headlights and tail-lights.

From the Plastx description:

• LASTING PROTECTION: Features water-resistant polymers that help provide long-lasting durable protection

So there’s your protective coating.

In principle one can place LED emitters roughly in the positions of the high and low beam filaments in a dual beam halogen bulb, but for reasons already listed LED replacements for halogens are a bad idea.

Why do you feel your current lights are dim - have they always been dim, are they becoming dim over age, are your eyes aging (all three are true for our 2006 Civic!)? If they always were dim, you can try brighter bulbs of the same type as the originals (I presume halogens) but try not to go super high in color temperature (their shorter wavelengths increase scatter from fog, windshield haze, and inside oncoming and especially older drivers’ eyes). Be aware that because brighter bulbs run at higher filament temperatures their life will be shorter.

If becoming dimmer over time, check the voltage at the socket of each bulb while they are operating to see if wiring and contact resistance has increased. Check the headlight optics, lenses and reflectors, for contamination or dullness. Bulbs also become dimmer as they age so replacement with a standard or slightly brighter issue from a known brand might be the first thing to try, as previously mentioned.

And a variety of eye changes can result in dim headlights.

@ken2116, thanks for a comprehensive comment.

I think they were always dim and my eyes are also aging but probably my eyes are not that big of a culprit. I will try with brighter lights. If they don’t work, then wll go through rest of the process.