Can You Identify this Car

I own garages in Philadelphia, PA that are rented to a number of car owners. I have a delinquent tenant who’s car I may need to sell If he does not remove it from the garage. I need an identification and a value on this car. I believe it is a kit car. It is gold fleck fiberglass convertible possibly on a dune buggy frame. Contact me and I can send a photo.

Looks something like this Meyers Manx-style dune buggy?

Do you have any idea?

The car in the photo is a kit body on a VW bug undercarriage. Basically it is a VW. The one in you garage is likely a VW too. What’s it worth? Not much unless it is very good shape. It is worth more if you are in CA, NV, or Texas.

If you do not get it running and driving it is not worth much $3-500 because it will need new brakes,lines,shocks,carb rebuilt,gas tank cleaned and more.
It may be better to sell parts from it.

Googling ‘dune buggy’ I see something close but no cigar.
( see - Tbuggy - in dunebuggyarchives.com, close but different front ‘grille’ )

As stated above; if it aint runnin it aint sellin so if it is on a VW chassis ( photo doesn’t show back end ), find an old VW tech to get 'er up and running, then you might have something to sell.

Heck sell it as a project piece( depending on your market area ) if you don’t need too much cash. Buggying out old VWs was big business, still is by the looks of my short search.

To know what you have will take VW people to identify the running chassis. VW indy shops, dune buggy forums, and beetle bug forums might help to i.d. chassis & engine.

I don’t know what it is, but I can tell you that at one time there were LOTS of companies making fiberglass body kits to fit on VW beetle frames, some shortened, some not. The front suspension visible in the picture makes me think this is one of them.

What’s it worth? It’s worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Put it on ebay and find out. I wouldn’t expect to get too much, especially if it’s been sitting for many years.

Does it run?

Are you sure it can be registered in PA? Does it have an inspection sticker in the windshield? Is there a license plate on the back? If there is no sign that it has ever been registered in PA, you will have trouble selling it. I don’t know abut NJ or DE, but MD has a safety inspection before a car can be registered. If you are certain it can be registered, it will be much easier to sell.

Good Lord! The OP still has posted a picture, but everyone has an opinion, which are like cowboy hats, by the way. Google that one. It doesn’t look like a dune-buggy to me, which means it might be worth some unknown amount (take that for what it’s worth).

“If there is no sign that it has ever been registered in PA, you will have trouble selling it.”

Really? I mean, for real? Really? Since you know about MD, no doubt you know that when you take a tagged vehicle off the road, you need to send the tags back to the MVA to avoid huge fines, so the presence or absence of license plates means precisely nothing.

I have read that the Manx does bring some good money when they are sold, somewhat of a “cult following”

…“but MD has a safety inspection before a car can be registered.” You can get around that by registering as “historic” or “street rod”. Historic is for 25+year old vehicle, Street Rod is for very modified vehicle like this. With these tags, vehicle is not supposed to be used for “everyday transportation”. Insurance is cheaper too. I don’t know if PA has an equivalent type of registration.

By the way, pretty cool “car”!

Like McP said, there used to be numerous fiberglass kit car manufactureres making various iterations to mount VW running gear onto. The old VWs were perfect for this, because the “chassis” was basically a belly pan with frame-like edges onto which all the running gear was mounted.

I’ve seen your version many years ago, but what make it is has ling since left my memory. An extensive search of “fiberglass kit car bodies for VWs” might prove fruitful, although I was unable to find it.

ZombieWoof, why are you a bully? What are you going to gain by belittling people? Will anyone buy you think highly of you for it?

@jtsanders:

“ZombieWoof, why are you a bully? What are you going to gain by belittling people? Will anyone buy you think highly of you for it?”

Clearly you’ve never been bullied. If by “belittling” you mean “pointing out where johnny poster is wrong” then it’s badge of honor time.

Sorry ZW, you have no credibility when you make errors as you ‘point out where johnny poster is wrong’. The OP’s photo looks EXACTLY like a modified VW, what most would call a dune buggy. And your nasty attitude doesn’t help.

ZombieWoof, why would anyone consider your actions honorable? And when you belittle someone I consider it bullying. If you want to participate in a discussion, try posting information, not attitude.