Can you get away with notching a belt pulley for easier removal/installation?

Thank you all for your advice and ideas. In accordance with the instructions in the factory service manual, I have removed the two bolts which connect the passenger side motor mount to the frame rail, and used a floor jack to lift the engine (the FSM actually suggests using a lifting tool from above, but that really should not matter). With the engine lifted as high as it will go, I’d still need to notch the pulley for the edge to pass over the hub on the power steering pump.

I seem to recall using a very large crowbar to pry the engine away from the frame rail to get that pulley out, but that is an absurd amount of effort, and it can ruin the motor mounts and steel power steering pipes. I was hoping to hear that someone else here had successfully notched a pulley on some vehicle in the past, and how they did it, but apparently no one has had this idea before.

I have ordered a replacement pulley online, so once it arrives then I can try the angle grinder and see how that works out. As long as I can get at least a year out of a belt, and there are no objectionable noises such as squealing, I’m ok with that. I will just have to inspect the belt regularly, and replace it anytime visible wear is observed.

Loosened pass side mount only? Probably a front mount too. Along with trans mount. So, 3? Sounds like not enough articulation.

I am going to estimate you will get no more than a week out of each belt.

2 Likes

So… You just described how you did it, then use the word “but” and “can” to suggest that would be do hard and damaging to do it.

So… you did it but can’t do it?

??!!

I just wanted to update this thread. I ended up notching the pulley, using an angle grinder for gross material removal, followed by a fine file, then an extra-fine file, then hand sanding with 220 and 600 grit sandpaper. I got the surfaces smooth enough to not be sharp, and preserved all of the inner grooves. Only one notch was made.

Here are some photos:

I test-ran the engine briefly today (could not run it for more than a few minutes due to a coolant leak at the heater core connections) and there was no noticeable vibration from this pulley, nor any belt squeal, etc. The notch made installation so much easier.

1 Like

Hope it works!