Can I install a different tire size on my car?

I bought my vehicle and I did not realize its tire size is different from recommendation. The recommend tire is 235/65/17 but the tires on the vehicle is 235/60/17, will this cause any performance or ruin anything in a long run?

My next question is what is the con of having different brand tires with different threads on the front and rear? thanks.

The two -digit number after the slash mark in a tire size is the aspect ratio. For example, in a size P235/ 60R/17 tire, the 60 means that the height is equal to 60 % of the tire’s width. The bigger the aspect ratio, the bigger the tire’s sidewall will be. If the car manufacturer requires a 65 tire,stick with it.
Use 4 tires of the same manufacturer with same tread design for the front and rear.Your car will drive better

1 Like

You did not say what this mystery vehicle is but just plan on four new tires in the future of the correct size. As for the different brands my personal thought is as long as they are all the same size and the two front match and the two rear match no problem.

Make/model is really needed here. If you have AWD it’s better to have 4 matching tires.

2 Likes

Assuming it’s not AWD (or if it is, assuming all the tires are the same size), then with that small of a difference you’ll be fine just waiting until the tires need replacement anyway.

The impact will be on the speedometer and it will be very small. When you think you’re going 60mph, you will actually be going 58mph.

Absolutely irrelevant in daily driving. If your tires last 40,000 miles, it will falsely add 1300 miles to the odometer. Again, pretty irrelevant - people shopping for used cars don’t care about 1,000 mile differences.

3 Likes

It’s best to follow the manufacture’s tire size recommendations. Their design engineers extensively tested the suspension and steering on your car for those tire sizes, and found the vehicle tracked well, had even tire wear, and was as stable as possible by design going over bumps, around corners, on pavement as well as gravel and dirt roads, rain slick roads, snow covered roads, etc. So I can’t recommend any other tire size than what the manufacturer recommended to you. However, I’ll add that if I had that problem myself, given the small difference involved, I just drive more cautiously until it was time to buy new tires, and correct the tire size issue at that time.

Re different tire treads, front and back. Ideally you’d like to have all four tires exactly the same. This is usually required for AWD and 4WD. For 2WD, next best is the same tires on an axle; i.e. right == left, but front might not be the same as back. Any deviation beyond that, I wouldn’t recommend.

2 Likes

A lot of high performance cars don’t use the same size tires front and back from the factory.

That’s the kiss of death for an AWD, but might be acceptable for the short term for a RWD. FWD might have some handling issues.