Can I ask for my catalytic converter back?

I bought a brand new 2008 Subaru Outback two weeks ago. The check engine light has already come on twice, both times for a catalytic converter error (P0420). It goes in Friday to have a new catalytic converter installed. This sucks. Brand new car and I’m already having trouble.

Question for you - can I ask for my old catalytic converter back? From what I understand, you can sell these at a scrap metal place for a couple hundred dollars. The repair, thank God, is covered under warranty, so it’s free. Am I entitled to get the old catalytic converter back? Is that even legal? I don’t want to break any laws, but don’t want to miss out on an opportunity to make a couple hundred dollars. I’m in Washington state, if that helps with the legal questions. What do repair shops do with old parts, repaired under warranty like this? Thanks for any advice you might have. Also, if you know of anyone who has had this same problem, please let me know.

If they’re replacing it for FREE then you are NOT ENTITLED to get it back.

Under warranty…NO. The manufacturer requires it to be saved for the possibility of being returned for inspection. In some cases retail might have a core deposit on them to force the proper disposal. Pay the core deposit - keep the core. I’m not sure about subaru, ask your dealer.

The manufacturer is paying for the repair, not you, so I’d assume they’re the one entitled to the old parts.

As a control method against fraud warranty parts must be held by the dealer the factory looks at the warranty claim decides if it wants to inspect the replaced parts if it doesn’t want to inspect, the parts are disposed of in a way that no one profits from parts.As a Tech we needed a signature from the parts department that we turned in the warranty parts or we would not get paid for the job.A quick way out the door was any profit making activity involving warranty parts.The factory owns them.

Thank you for the explanations. That makes complete sense. You all have been very helpful!