So, I’ve got rough idles and misfires on cold starts. Before I start replacing parts my diagnostic plans is as follows:
- Remove and inspect spark plugs.
- Inspect and test starter coil/distributor (still have to research how to do this)
- Test resistance on fuel injectors.
- Test pressure drop on fuel rails.
- Test compression for possible small head leak.
I’m wondering, if I do have a tiny head leak that is letting in a drip or two of coolant after hours of the engine sitting, will I be able to see this on the gauge doing a compression test? I’ve never done one before and still need to buy a gauge, but maybe I’m better off just doing the other tests and if they all check out I can be certain it is a minor head leak.
My assumption is that I have a leaking injector; just trying to do things the proper way.