Can a very obese person damage a car?

It depends on the vehicle. I weigh 400 pounds, and the seat in my Mercedes M class (now GLE) is in perfect shape, none the worse for wear and tear after 11 years and 180.000 miles. By contrast, the driver’s seat frame in my 2 year old GMC pickup is ‘loose’ and the back cushion is not properly aligned with the seat cushion.

1 Like

This thread reminds me of my beloved and dearly missed “dad”, (not by blood) who was 6* and around 350 pounds and drove a -69 fiat 600 as a daily driver. Around 1 year of use would cause the seat brackets to go through the floorpan and I had to get them back in place. After doing this for 3 consecutive years, I welded 4 pieces of 0,5 inch tubing across under the floorpan under the seat bracketts. Job done for many years after.

2 Likes

I had a 2005 Chevy van, well my 290 lb. hubby wrecked that seat. Now I have a 2012 Escape. I sure do miss my van though as it had lots of storage and the Escape does not have much storage. Nice little vehicle but now I am worrying about him driving it. We also have a F-150 and boy that is a great vehicle for storage and comfort. He also can’t wreck that seat. I tend to have a vehicle for long term so hoping for the best this time…lol