Can a SPIDER really cost you $1,440?!

I initially though the same thing as @George_San_Jose1 but I made an assumption when I saw that it had iM in hte name. i with anything following it means battery powered in every other make and model of vehicle so I assumed that this was a full EV and thought that the acronyms meant something else and didn’t question them.

After reading @George_San_Jose1’s post, I looked it up and found out I was wrong.

Come on, you’re missing the point. I realize an engine does not get filled with water. If I knew enough about cars to conjure up a proper comparable analogy I wouldn’t be here asking for advice.

people come here looking for help and advice, not be ridiculed. Maybe try not to take things so literally.

Just curious, have you had the work done or are you still seeking advice. If you are still seeking advice, I’d recommend that you just have the drain cleared and not replace anything.

1. Everything in quotations was what the mechanic typed word for word. I’m assuming he ment “AC” not AK

2. I believe he was referring to the AC evaporator cartridge

3. I think the reason there were so many system failures is just because the computer failed.

Airbags are not important?

The work hasn’t been done yet. I did some research, there was a large recall of 885,000 toyotas models between 2011-2013 for the EXACT SAME ISSUE. The recall notice from issued in 2013 states:

“Water from the air conditioning unit housing could leak onto the air bag control module and cause a short circuit, resulting in illumination of the airbag warning light. In some instances, the air bag(s) could become disabled or could inadvertently deploy. An airbag that deploys inadvertently can, under some circumstances, increase the risk of minor injury or the possibility of a crash. An inoperative airbag can increase the risk of injury in a severe crash. In limited instances, the power steering assist function could also become inoperable if a communication line in the airbag control module is damaged. Sudden loss of power steering assist results in increased steering effort and can increase the risk of a crash at low speeds.”

“This condition is caused by a clogged HVAC drain hose. A clogged HVAC drain hose could cause water to leak through the HVAC unit housing seal and onto the airbag control module.”

This issue is pretty dangerous and clearly not resolved because 20 models from 2007-2019 have the exact same issue.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/staticcontent/en/techinfo/html/prelogin/docs/cp/d1ttofaq.pdf

A little moisture in the connector does not mean the computer has to be replaced. You can dry the connector and then check the system. If it works, then it is safe to drive.

Then clean out the evap box and the car is good to go. Replacing a good computer will not make the safer because another spider could get in there and the whole cycle repeats again.