Can a rear-end accident affect the tranny of an automatic?

A 1990 Honda Accord, with an AT tranny, was rear-ended at a traffic light, the car back end was repaired, but weeks later subsequent the transmission went out.

Did this accident contribute to the tranny failure?

This has bugged me for years, mostly because the insurance co. said no.

Thanks.

Yes, it’s possible to have a trans problem or even an engine problem caused by an accident. Like the insurance adjuster has a clue anyway.
Many years ago I was in a car wreck and my Corvette became a total. The engine was untouched and a guy wanted to buy it so I let him have it.
The engine did not knock or burn any noticeable amount of oil.
After installing the engine into another car the engine had a slight rattle and used oil to the tune of 1 quart every FIVE miles while smoking like a grassfire.

It appears the impact jolted the crankshaft, the crank end play was magnified by the G-forces, and several pistons and rings were broken. So yes, anything can happen.

I doubt it. This is a front-wheel drive car. There is no rear driveshaft to impact the transmission directly. You also don’t say what the specific failure was, how many miles on the vehicle at the time, and how hard it was hit. Transmissions can fail without being in an accident (this could just have been bad luck).