Can a higher amp battery be harmful to alternator?

Hello,

The battery installed in the car by the manufacturer is 50 amp.
I don’t have any electrical system (except basic car audio)
Can I use a 60-amp battery? (How about more? for example: 65 or 70 amp)
Can a higher amp battery be harmful to the alternator?
Is there a law between battery amp and alternator?
Can the alternator charge a higher-capacity battery?

Thanks

No. The original battery is 50 amp–hours, that is capacity not amperage. The new is 60 amp-hours, more capacity, not more amperage.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer, but “No” to which of my questions?

I don’t have any electrical system (except basic car audio) Yes, you DO have an electrical system… unless you drive something made before about 1910. If the car is less than 40 years old, you have computers, electric fuel pump, electric gauges, lights ect.
Can I use a 60-amp battery? Yes
How about more? Yes
Can a higher amp battery be harmful to the alternator? No
Is there a law between battery amp and alternator? 12V alternator, 12V battery, you are good.
Can the alternator charge a higher-capacity battery? Yes

2 Likes

Starting a normal car should take no more than 1 Ah. It’s no more work for your alternator to charge a battery from 59 Ah to 60 Ah than it is for it to charge a battery from 49 Ah to 50 Ah.

2 Likes

The alternator’s voltage regulator circuit is what determines the charging current. A larger capacity battery will take longer to charge is all, shouldn’t cause any damage to either the battery or alternator. Assuming the battery is the standard auto battery chemistry and voltage and within reason capacity. If you installed a huge battery with 100 X the capacity that took 100 X longer to charge, charging it from a completely non-charged state might stress the alternator enough to damage it.