Camry update

I just heard a new name for that: “Q-Tips”. You can see two white headed bumps driving towards you, nothing more

That little old lady was my mom until she quit driving. There are a bunch here in Florida as you’d expect but a huge number of young drivers that have similar drive-by-braille styles.

The woman whom I referenced earlier…
…pulled out of her driveway–directly in my path–while driving at ~5 mph (you don’t want to be one of those dangerous people who drive fast…)
…proceeded to drive at 22 mph in a 40 mph zone
…made a turn without signaling
…drove at ~30 mph in 55 MPH zone
…made another turn–without signaling–at a red light–without stopping prior to the turn, narrowly avoiding a collision with a car that had the right of way.

I guess that continuing at 30 mph while turning was her concession to safety.

Informative post there OP. Glad you are getting good results from your 2014 Camry. Sorry to hear you had a bit of a snag on the torque converter dealership service though.

@Mustangman. “Drive-by-braille styles”

Oh dear oh dear, the mental visual of that is just sooo wrong. LOL

@texases Q-tips, white hair, white shoes, Florida term.

Like the rest of you, I too would prefer the higher seating position, but I can’t use it, I have to have the seats all the way down. If they aren’t, then when I come to a 4 way intersection, I can’t see the car to my right because of the mirror.

I can’t use the built in lumbar support either as it rabbit punches me in the kidneys. I use a memory foam support from AutoZone, and i need it for almost any car I drive now. Car manufacturer seat designers need to look up where the lumbar region is, and it is not either side of the spine, it is the last 5 vertebra of the spine itself.

A few nights ago this wonderful driver made the news here… :smiley:

Court records are online here in OK and this is not her first rodeo (or second, or third, or…) involving the police and drugs.

@ok4450. Ye gods and little fishes. How could she possibly keep control of her truck at those speeds driving on a tireless rim?!

@VDCdriver. As overall population demographics age and the peak of the baby boomer generation reaches our senior years the prevalence of such drivers is going to increase dramatically. Scary to contemplate. I hope I will have the good sense to know when I no longer can safely drive and hang up my car keys appropriately…but hope that is still at least twenty years farther down the road.

@GeorgeSanJose. Thank you. I admit that I got a mite on my high horse over how I was treated over the torque converter and hub cap issues but managed to retain a businesslike decorum which ended up serving me well in the long run. Although I did have hidden mental images of being Marvin the Martian going after Daffy Duck.

@keith. I shall have to seek out the memory foam lumbar support and/or seat cushion you mention and see if it might help me. I have tried several seat cushions to fill in the bowl of the bucket seat but those have all put pressure on my tailbone that is worse than sitting down in the bucket of the bucket seat. Not everyone has the same anatomy and preferred seating for comfort. But age, mileage, and two forms of severe arthritis have made me finally accept I am no longer sixteen and haven’t been for forty-five years.

Just lumbar support for me at this time. You are right, every back is different, but nobody’s lumbar is located in the kidney region. BTW, I have butt warmers in my seat so that is another reason to not have a seat cushion at this time.

@Marnet

Doesn’t your Camry have an electrically adjustable lumbar support?

If so, can I presume it doesn’t provide enough support?

Here’s something funny . . . I didn’t realize my Camry had lumbar support, until I happened to see the switch a few YEARS after I got the car :lol:

@db4690. No, it doesn’t have adjustable lumbar support. I do miss that from the Impala. But the real problem is the typical shape of bucket seats. Good bench or split bench seats were far better for me. Even then, not all bench seats were comfy. For example, when I bought my 1987 Olds I opted to get the manual bench seat rather than the electric bench seat because the manual seat was quite comfy for me while the adjustable power seat simply did not sit upright enough no matter how I adjusted it, that despite I had been used for many years to the power seats in my parents’ cars.

@Marnet

Wow, that is disappointing

I would have thought that if my 2005 Camry LE has adjustable lumbar support, yours also would.

@db4690. In the 2014.5 to get adjustable lumbar support I would have had to bump up to either the sport or top trim level either of which would have also gotten me a 6-cyl engine but I couldn’t justify spending an extra $6k to $8k then or now. As it is, this car has a world of safety, convenience, and comfort features that run circles around my first car, a 1973 Corolla that was a bare bones econobox powered by four weak hamsters.

@Marnet

I think I see how Toyota operates

My 2005 Camry LE does have a V6. And it does have a few features which the 4-cylinder LE models didn’t have as standard equipment, such as alloy rims and rear disc brakes. Apparently the lumbar support, as well . . .

You’ll appreciate this, and may find it funny . . .

I’m looking for a used Toyota for my mom. I’m looking at Corollas and Camrys, in the 2-4 year old range :smiley:

You would get the adjustable lumbar support in the XLE with the 4 cylinder, but you would also be stuck with the sunroof, heated seats, leather seats, and a whole host of other things that would add another $4-5k to the package.

And I refuse to own a car with a hole in the roof. :wink:

I don’t like sunroofs. They lower interior head room. Since I raise the seat to max height and often wear hats I want all the head room possible. And I have yet to see sunroof that doesn’t eventually leak no matter how well maintained.

The 2014 sport trim came available with 6-cyls but minus the sunroof. I almost bought that but a hard look at the bsnk account made me stick with the LE.

I agree with you re sunroofs. I was forced into one with my 03 Passat. I never used it, but had two problems with it, it would start squeeking at speeds above 50 MPH.

edit: more details. the squeaking sounded like I had a bird caught in the sunroof. I oiled every point I could find and that fixed it for a few years, when the problem came back.