Camaro Stalls after Ten Minutes

My son bought a 1995 Z28 Camaro a few months ago. Within a couple of weeks, he began to experience the following problem. If he drove the car for about five to ten minutes, the car stalled. It had no electricty. The ignition would not work. The radio did not work. But after the engine cooled, it would start again, but only for the next five to ten minutes.

As part of my son’s original plan, he installed a new engine (which the car badly needed), thinking this might solve the problem. However, the car still stalls and looses all power and electricity after five to ten minutes.

The shop that replaced the engine has also replaced the distributor, the ignition module, the radiator, and the spark plugs.

My son has spent a lot of money and has borrowed a lot from his parents to get this far. He’s working long hours after school to make the money to fix the car, and he really wants to be able to drive it. Can you help?

The next time the car stalls, open the hood and wiggle the positive battery cables and see if that restores electrical power. If it does the problem is with the positive cable aasembly.

One thing that can happen with the GM side mount battery terminals is corrosion can form under the red rubber cover for the positive terminal and cause a voltage drop or a complete loss of voltage. To check for this, remove both battery terminals and peel back the red rubber cover for the positive terminal. If there’s corrosion under this red rubber cover it’ll be obvious.

Tester

Since this is a '95, the battery cables are 15 years old. This sounds like a connection is being impacted (badly) as the car heats up. Heat causes expansion and cold causes contraction and something that makes a good contact cold, losses that contact when it heats up.

I’d consider replacing all the main battery cables, both the positive and the negative (ground). In the process make sure all the main connection points are cleaned throughly to insure good contact at all times and all temperatures.

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I’ll pass it along to the mechanic and we’ll see if it works. I’ll post an update when I have more information.

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I’ll pass it along to the mechanic and we’ll see if it works. I’ll post an update when I have more information.

makes sure all electrical connections around the engine arent melted. LT1’s will do that after awhile.