Call me crazy

Yes, I know. And the booming noise can be eliminated by the addition of “weather guards” or something over the windows. But I didn’t spend all this money on a brand new car to have to “work around” and find solutions to basic design flaws…

Say what you will about the Suzuki Swift, it’s interior design was SUBLIME; everything just flowed effortlessly, and it was a blast to drive, as well.

Also a “cheap” car, but… Well, whatever has changed in cars, it really shows.

I think you are comparing your Swift, which you were already acclimated to, to a brand new car that you are not used to. Couldn’t that be part of the problem?

Like I said before, I am trying to empathize with you in spite of my feelings that you will face a lot of these ergonomic issues with any new car. I wasn’t going to suggest weather guards since that is probably one of the most compelling issues you have raised.

Except that the Swift took NO getting used to. I wasn’t even considering that car when I went looking, but tried it, and it fit like a glove; drove like an extension of my body from the first minute. This one, even 5000 miles later, I’m still not comfortable or feeling at home in it. Guess it’s like love; it’s there or it isn’t.

Trouble in paradise? Well you did buy quite literally the most bare-bones vehicle Toyota offers in North America, the “cheap” feel is what you (didn’t) pay for. The Yaris is offered overseas in right hand drive, that’s one of the reasons for the center displays and the somewhat unusual places chosen for cupholders and storage bins. I think your expectations were too high for such a pedestrian car. But I’ll bet it gets great gas mileage. Honda actually did it right with the Fit. They took their cheap little car and before selling to North Americans who have higher standards when it comes to convenience and comfort features, they added features that we expect in a car and redesigned the interior for North American tastes. I would suggest looking at one of those. Of course since it only gets a paltry 31 MPG you may find it too decadent and thirsty :slight_smile:

I am not suggesting you keep the Yaris. I just think some of these features, like the visor mirrors and sliding panels, aren’t that big of a deal. Just don’t use them. Pretend they aren’t there. That shelf in the back? Just take it out. Having said that, there are obviously so many of these little issues that, together, they add up to real concerns.

I think shopping for a new car will be a complete waste of time. Find yourself a used Swift and, if necessary, have it fixed up. This car fit you like a glove and nothing else will measure up.

Not so great on the mileage; I’m getting about 28 city/35 highway; Swift got 40 without even breathing hard. Maybe I’ll just ride the bike and take the bus…

The Swift also didn’t have to meet modern safety and emissions standards.

I should add that 32 MPG overall is quite good. Of my two vehicles. The most frugal one can achieve 18 MPG, the other about 9 or 10 MPG.

Maybe you will find some redeeming qualities about the Yaris. I’ll bet the gasoline mileage is great. Toyotas have a great reliability record. Years ago, my dad traded his 1963 Buick LeSabre for a new 1969 Pontiac LeMans. He had second thoughts about his purchase, but he did get a very good price on the Pontiac. He invited my wife and I to go with him to visit his brother–a 200 mile trip. I was in the passenger side in the front seat and my wife and mother were in the back seat. We were traveling on a 2 lane highway and my dad had made some comment that this car certainly wasn’t a Buick. He then came up behind a car and floored the accelerator to pass. We were all pushed back into the seats. After we got around the car, my dad grinned and said, “Maybe this car will be all right”. He drove that Pontiac for years–I think it was his favorite of all the cars he owned. Give your Yaris a chance.

If you can wait a year, the Fiesta is gonna make a comeback. It might fit your needs.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2009/02/ford-fiesta-video.html

Hmmm, Ford. I’m rather partial to Japanese cars (Suzuki). But that was a cute one!

Gee whiz, no one gave the response I expected right away:

“Crazy.”

That’s a great story; sometimes going through a crisis together can help the bond…

I started to feel just a little tingle toward the Yaris after it’s first long road trip over a weekend, but it wore off pretty quickly. We don’t have the chemistry.

Resistant to taking good advice? Definitely
Obstinate? Yes

Crazy? Probably not
Capable of learning to take advice? Hopefully

Behold the most thorough automobile review ever undertaken.

Clarkson reviews the 2009 Fiesta.

It’s 10 minutes long, but it’s worth watching.

That was worth watching!

Now, at least I know which car to buy the next time that I want to take part in a beach assault with a company of Royal Marines. I was particularly impressed by the Fiesta’s ability to ford (no pun intended) very deep water.

Back in the 1950’s, my Dad did a lot of business with the DeSoto-Plymouth dealer. I would take his car in for work. The owner and the service manager were really great guys and I loved talking with them. At any rate, in 1958 during the Eisenhower recession, the agency had a 1958 Chevrolet and a 1958 Rambler on the lot. Both cars had less than 5000 miles are were in like new condition. Both were the lowest trim line, 6 cylinder engines, standard transmssions and no accessories. The former owners had bought these cars to save money during the recesson and couldn’t stand the cars. Both were traded on new DeSotos with all the options.

No car is a bargain if you don’t like the car. Consumer Reports may be a place to start, but you will be driving the car–not Consumer Reports auto testers.

dang girl - you really need a hobby.

BTW…this post has gone on a long time and I haven’t read where anyone has fulfilled your request…
You’re crazy !

Okay, someone suggested removing the factory springs and shocks in order to mitigate yet another feature of this car which I hate yet neglected to mention in my rant above, which is its “bounciness”; I feel like I’m riding a Hippity-Hop (anyone remember those?). Also hard for my elderly mother to climb into and out of since the seat curve UP and you have to climb a little to get in. The tall factor, I mentioned (and hate; too tall!), so this would lower it, as well, wouldn’t it? How does one go about doing this, what’s the cost, what are the ramifications? Will cross-post this question in “repairs and maintenance” for technical advice.

I think shopping for a new car will be a complete waste of time. Find yourself a used Swift and, if necessary, have it fixed up. This car fit you like a glove and nothing else will measure up.

From another crazy (on a user review forum):

“Have to say this is the ugliest weird looking car out there. I mean the lift back, hatch back kind. I got me a toyota yaris but had to get rid of it in 2 years. Just too weird to have the drivers console in middle. It’s slow on breaking and a very nerdy looking vehicle. I am so happy I got rid of it.”

hahahaha