California DMV rules, Cops, Speed, interstate

No, I’m just a WWII history buff. Though, my grandfather did fly with Joe Foss in the pacific.

How did this come up again? This is five months old and wasn’t a very valid topic then. I doubt whether the OP is still around.

If you think issuing traffic citations generates a profit for the local government, I suggest you perform a break-even analysis

This is actually true…Been a huge controversy here in MA and NH…There are towns that include in their budget how much money they’ll make from issuing tickets in their town. When there are budget shortfalls…one way they use to increase revenue is to increase the number of tickets issued…Personally I think this is WRONG…A GOOD government should be trying to LOWER the number of tickets they issue by reducing speeding and other violations…NOT increase tickets.

Mike, I don’t doubt there are small towns where they abuse their power, and I am sure there are departments where they have and inflate quotas to decrease the financial losses associated with employing public servants, but I want to dispel the rumor that issuing traffic citations is a profitable enterprise. Any way you slice it, no police officer could issue enough tickets in a given day to totally offset all of the expenses associated with enforcement. These traffic officers would have to have such a high daily average of citations that there wouldn’t be time for them to eat or sleep.

Many people who claim they only got a ticket because of revenue generation are just upset they got caught breaking the law. If you think it is all about revenue generation, and you want to do something about it, stop breaking the law. It’s that simple. Even when revenue generation is the goal, they have to find law breakers to make their evil plan work. If they run out of law breakers, their scam will be revealed.

Full disclosure: My sister is a County Mountee

I see in my area that all traffic laws are not being enforced. To the point where I have seen people run red lights in front of the poilce and they have done nothing. In that respect the lack of enforcement is an example of what is permissable behavior to others. I think speeding goes along with that. If they don’t stop me, why should I stop?

I think society’s sense of entitlement comes into play as well. It’s my right to drive as I want. Some people are pissed if they are corrected. Everyone is entitled to something, even if they do something wrong.

Lastly, in law enforcement’s defense, locally they are so busy going to other calls, such as domestic disputes, drug related calls, and whatever kind of BS comes down the pipe that perhaps, rightly so, traffic law enforcement can suffer to stop the larger, more serious crime that is in society.

I don’t understand why some of these posts are from April. How long has this thread been going?