CA wants cars to go all electric and then tells people not to charge them!

I think you underestimate the resourcefulness of humans. A lot can happen in 12 years. Plus I would think H2 powered vehicles would meet the requirements.

“The rule, issued by the California Air Resources Board, will require that all new cars sold in the state by 2035 be free of greenhouse gas emissions like carbon dioxide.”

Are you referring to the same humans that can’t launch that rocket b/c of all the hydrogen fuel leaks? … lol …

I did suggest NASA buy some flex seal🤪

1 Like

Yeah, that’ll solve anything!!!

Hey, maybe the can turn that rocket into a hydrogen filling station for cars, lots of ports apparently … lol …

I have only tried to use Flex Seal once and wasn’t impressed. I might not have used it on the best material but with all the hype and claims, I sure wasn’t happy with the results.

I used it to re-seal a leaky bulkhead on a kayak hatch or at least attempted to do so. I cleaned up the surfaces, let them dry, and wiped with 90% alcohol to make sure it was good and clean. I swear the flex seal was already peeling off by the time it dried! HDPE (kayak material) is hard to glue to many plastic weld it so maybe that was my problem.

I certainly wouldn’t suggest NASA buy it though after my experience! I would have been better off with duct tape to be honest. Gorilla Tape and the copies also seem like solid products.

2 Likes

+1
I used it on a garden hose, and Flex Seal was an epic failure.

I would like to point out here that California NEVER told anyone not to charge their EV’s but to not charge them during peak hours, something like 5-11 PM. I believe that Cal uses electronic meters that can adjust how much they charge per kwh by the hour so many people set the timers on their chargers to charge off peak anyway.

4 Likes

The SLS core booster expends 2 million liters of hydrogen and 742,000 liters of oxygen in about 484 seconds through 4 engines. The seals in the 8-inch diameter fill and drain valves were replaced. Liquid hydrogen loading is a lot different than gaseous hydrogen loading into an automotive fuel cell.

2 Likes

Don’t tell me I could not refuel my 2012 Camry at home. I had four 5 gallon gas cans, Four 2 gallon, and one 1 gallon one and a riding mower with trailer that I could get to a gas station with, while never going on the street.

THe re4al reason I had these was because I frequently had more than a dollar a gallon off for gas points from a grocery store and I could get 30 gallons at a time.

2 Likes

We do get the credit from the grocery card for gas and with my wife’s shopping it is not rare that she racks up a Dollar per Gallon off. I thought I was smart having her fill the car with the bigger tank. Now you gave me a new idea. Very smart.

You don’t know much about this topic? You’ve make a number of untrue statements.

Such as Californian isn’t building new plants. They just built a brand new gas electric plant down the street from me.

Los Angeles have build I think about 8?

The State just announced a few weeks ago that they’re reconsidering the closure of it only nuclear power plant.

Just to be clear, the state is asking people to refrain from charging during peak hours (4-9PM) if possible. That is very different than them saying you can’t charge at all. Which they never did say, rather it was you who said it.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s kind of his thing…

4 Likes

He does that ALL THE TIME. He THINKS he’s an expert on a subject, but as usual he’s totally clueless.

3 Likes

+1
And, to the annoyance of many of us, some of the advice that he has posted is potentially–if not outright–dangerous.

1 Like

Coal fired plants are indeed used to generate electricity for California. This one for example, nearly two Giga-watts, located in Utah, but electrical power goes to Southern California. Been burning large amounts of coal since the 1980’s. Plant seems to be switching from coal to natural gas in a few years.

Yes they are being used…but they are also being phased out. In the past 30 years electricity generated from coal in CA has dropped almost 90%.

The gas points I get from groceries never work in my town so it only works when I happen to be somewhere with the same store offering a gas station out front. I know people who drive both cars to the same station as the gas discount only works on one fill up. They fill the first one, pull the car out of the way, then fill the 2nd one. This seems like a lot of work to coordinate with the wife, etc. but I guess it could be worth it if you take a lot of gas. HAving your gas cans ready is also a good tactic if you have a need and desire to store gas.

Green Hydrogen??? There is no such thing. Hydrogen is not a power source. It is a storage medium. It takes more power to get hydrogen than you can get by burning it or using it in a fuel cell.

I too was wondering about obtaining H2.
Chemists/physicists please explain. I know water can be cracked, separating H2 and O, one poster mentioned obtaining H2 from CH4, but how can the H2 be separated without electricity?

As with everything in science…things change as we learn more. There are newer cheaper methods coming to extract Hydrogen cheaply to make it a viable solution. Maybe we’ll see it in our lifetime. But to completely dismiss it is just wrong.

New Way to Make Hydrogen Energy Out of Water Much More Cheaply (scitechdaily.com)

Video: How Cheap Hydrogen Could Become the Next Clean Fuel - Bloomberg

2 Likes