Buying an Extended Warranty- Land Rover

I have heard countless reports of warranty companies failing to honor post-purchase repairs and that extended warranties are full of loop holes.

At 47K my '06 LR3 needs coverage as the factory warranty is up in 3K miles.

Can you advise on “any” companies worth trusting?

Outside of normal car insurance companies, I wouldn’t trust any extended warranty companies. I’ve yet to hear to any of them that aren’t scams.

Well any car can have major expensive repairs.

The profit to the salesman and company is usually over 50%. So for every $1,000 you spend the insurance company has less than $500 to pay for repairs or they will loose money, something insurance companies do not do. Some peop;le will get nothing back and some will get a lot more than they pay.  Most will get far less. In addition you need to keep in mind that the insurer has worded it to eliminate as many expensive things as they can.

Remember that the seller is out to make money and they get to write the rules and set the price.  They are not going to sell them at a loss so one way or another they are going to have you pay more than they will pay out.  

Would you gamble with a car dealer who gets to set all the rules and knows all the odds?   

Your decision has to do with the value of the piece of mind it gives you. If that is worth the cost then buy it. Don't expect it to cover everything however, most are written to keep cost down and exempt what they know will cost them money. 

Good Luck

Agree that non-manufacturer’s warranties are worth very little. If I were you I would also think about selling the Land Rover. These vehicles do not age well and even an extended warranty will likely miss most of the items that will go wrong in the future. It’s also unknown what the new owners, Tata of India, have in mind for long term service.

Contact Land Rover and see what they back. No aftermarket one is worth using except maybe putting your own cash for warranty and sticking into a bank account deemed “my warranty”.

Find out the premium and take 60% of that money and put it in a good mutual fund. Thats what the insurance co does anyway. The rest of the premium goes to profit and calling more suckers.

The cost for insuring a Land Rover will be prohibitive or the deductible or co-pay will be so high as to make the policy worthless…

I am startled that there even is a company that would offer an extended warranty on a Land Rover as it surely will be used and not being used is what keeps the extended warranty companies around.

Little lesson on on the extended warranty companies.

MOST of them are OWNED by the big insurance companies. The insurance companies spawned off little companies to shelter the parent companies. Last I knew Allstate spawned off about 10…State Farm…another 10 or so…Liberty Mutual…at least 10.

There isn’t ONE extended warranty that’s worth it. They are just VERY VERY expensive insurance policies. Very very expensive…And very very high profit for the companies running them. State Farm and Liberty mutual started special divisions just for this type of insurance.

I’d Only Consider A “Factory” Extended Warranty From Land Rover If It’s Available. Otherwise Just Save Your Money.
A manufacturer’s extended warranty is infinitely better than an after market one. Although they are pricier they also cover the important components likely to fail during the warranty period to keep the vehicle in good running condition. Many (most? all?) after market warranties are carefully crafted to cover only things that are not likely to fail and things that are not expensive to fix, leaving you on the hook for costly repairs.

Make sure that it actually extends or continues the same coverage that you enjoy under the original factory warranty that came with the vehicle. Understand the coverage and see if there are deductibles or exceptions that apply.

Land Rover should have literature to help you decide on coverage. Often there are different policies available at various costs.

Extended warranties make more sense for owners of just one vehicle. The problem with them for owners of multiple vehicles is that all of your warranty dollars are tied up in one vehicle and multiple policies would be very expensive, especially if only one vehicle needed expensive repairs. I would say that if you have more than one or two vehicles then you should probably just save the money and self-insure.

Do your homework.

CSA

I agree. Since you’re still under factory warranty Land Rover should be able to extend the original bumper to bumper if you’re willing to pay. After market policies are cheaper, however they’re not worth the paper they’re written on.

… not being used is what keeps the extended warranty companies around.

Not really, they are happy to see some customers use their product, they just make sure that overall they collect far more in payments, than they pay out.