Buying a new Subaru - good idea?

Have you had trouble navigating through southern Maine winter snows in your existing vehicles, the Accord and Camry? If those have served well then it is reasonable to assume newer versions of the same will likewise.

@elgreen99 Yes. My wife’s Mazda3 Sport has ABS and traction control and Michelin winter tires. She has yet to get stuck anywhere and often goes skiing in the mountains. I would agree with All Wheel Drive in Extreme condition, like very deep snow, but in that case I would want a lot more ground clearance than you get on a Subaru.

Subaru has 8.7" of clearance. You can get some with 11-12" of clearance, but those are pretty pricey models like the Land Rover.

We just bought 2016 outback in September and really love it. We went with the 6 cylinder and found that it just drove so much better than the 4 cylinder, not that the 4 drove bad. I would recommend this car. My mom has owned a lot of Subaru’s over the years and had no problems.

The only special thing about a Subaru is that, if you purchase one, you will need to buy some more consonants. :slight_smile:

And learn how to pronounce the name correctly.

They’re generally referred to as Soo Bah Roos; accent on the Soo.
Actually they’re Soo BAR ooh; accent on the BAR and ooh or ooze at the end depending upon the singular or plural use.

Seriously, but just having a little fun with it. :smiley:

^
ok4450 is correct, of course!

New car names are always difficult. When Hyundai first started to sell cars a local farmer called them “High’n Drys”

When I think of the Subaru pronunciation, I think Scooby Doo

Sorry, but I’m not going out of my way to study up on car pronunciation

In my book . . .

The plural of Prius is Priuses

The plural of Toreass is Toreasses

The plural of Lexus is Lexuses

:naughty:

Japanese syllable accents are different from english ones.

Japanese has a pitch accent or musical accent. English, other European languages use a stress accent

Pitch accent is based on the two relative pitch levels of high and low. Each syllable is pronounced with equal length. Each word has its own determined pitch and only one accent summit. Japanese sentences are made up like a melody with rising and falling pitches. Unlike English’s uneven rhythm, Japanese sounds like a steadily flowing stream.

But, in my (limited) knowledge, the best way for us to pronounce Japanese or Chinese words it to place equal stress on each syllable and not attempt to handle the pitch accent.

But the third reference below will show you the proper (I assume) pronunciation. To me there is a small stress on the first syllabele.

When I see a Subaru in my rear view mirror, it says “You are a bus”.

My contribution to this meaningful discussion.

@“Bill Russell” I sure wouldn’t take “Emma Says” as Gospel pronunciation. She sure messes up words like “salmon” and “ornery.”

I haven’t explored “Emma” at all, sorry. But I do remember the bit about equal accents on each syllable from a trip to Japan. I think that is because they do not use stress syllables as we do, and it’s useless for an English speaker to try to quickly learn pitch accents.