Buying a "little old lady" car

What tires are on it now? We can determine the grade of tire from that, and this will determine the speed rating you need on your next set of tires. If you aren’t having problems with skidding now, your new all season radials will be at least as good as what you have now. I would replace them with the same grade tire (e.g. grand touring or touring). Tire Rack tests can be a great source of information. Their tests led me to the tires I just bought.

I guess I was searching for a general consensus on better brands of tires. I can do the research, but it’s like the cereal isle, way too many choices. Right now I am deciding between General, Goodyear and Cooper. All three are highly rated, but the Goodyear Triple Tread tires are pricy.

Of those 3, I would DEFINITELY choose Goodyear Triple Tread over General and Cooper

But that’s just my preference

I just bought four Continental PureContact with EcoPlus. They rate higher than anything you mentioned, and are not expensive for grand touring all season tires. Michelin Premier A/S tires are the highes rated in that category, but they are about $40 more per tire.

jtsanders…Did / do you find the eco tires to be too hard? I have heard those low rolling resistance tires are a bit firm.

I don’t find the ride harsh, but Tire Rack thought it was harsher and louder than the Michelin Premium in a recent test. That doesn’t mean the ride is unbearable, just a little less comfy than the Michelin tires. I’d rather save the $160 than go for the slightly more compliant ride.

Does anyone have experience with Cooper CS5 Grand Touring or General Altimax RT43. Lots of good comments on some forums… I just can’t seem to part with Goodyear money for tires. I had so-so experience with Goodyear tires on my previous experience. Part of me feels like tire aren’t all that different expect for marketing costs.

except, not expect… I should read before posting.

There are so many new companies making tires (most reputedly bad) that it’s hard to buy just on brand. Even the biggest brands make a wide range of products at different prices. I’ve never gone wrong with Michelin, but I’ve also paid for it.

Does anyone have experience with Cooper CS5 Grand Touring or General Altimax RT43

I LOVE cooper tires…but their car tires are average. Their truck tires IMHO are the excellent. Perform as well or better then any tire I ever bought. We had the CS5 on my wifes Lexus…lasted abot 30k miles…but the last 10k the ride wasn’t that great. Went back to Michelin…they lasted 35k miles, but the ride was great right up to the day we bought new Michelins.

How about BF Goodrich Advantage T/A? Anyone have those tires and comments?

Check Tire Rack and see if your Goodyear dealer installs tires for Tire Rack. There is at least one tire dealer around me that does. That way you have options for more tire brands and you can keep your favorite dealer. They will get paid for installation and alignment, so they should be happy enough.

We have those bf goodrich ta on some of our fleet vehicles

they don’t seem to last very long

Thanks for the tip… I went with the Cooper RS5 Grand Touring. 80K warranty. Got a real good price at my Fleet Farm. They seem to be just fine so far…more info when it snows!

Having bought a few little old lady cars, here’s what I do.

Change ALL the fluids, coolant, brake, oil, transmission. Change all the belts and hoses, change plugs and wires, check an replace rotors if necessary (then can get rusty from lack of use and that can cause a high spot under the pads) and pads if necessary, clean the fuel system check fuel tank.

@jr4488, do you mean CS5 tires? Cooper does not have an RS5 branded tire, only the RS3.

Yes, CS5… Called Grand Touring… 80k wear warranty. So many numbers and letters that I’ve been reading lately in getting tires. Sort of glad it’s over. Too many choices.

I know what you mean. I recently first identified my new Continental tires as ProContact when they are actually PureContact.